Linger

Her abrupt hang-up always irked me. Initially, my intention at the club was to persuade her to leave her job, but the sight of her in that outfit obliterated all reason, leaving only a primal desire in its wake.

Yet, I had to respect her decision, to empathize with her perspective. In a world where even families could betray each other, I understood her hesitation to trust mere words.

"I've never been fond of this sport," I remarked, snapping my attention to Eliot, who leaned forward slightly as he swung the club. Observing his eyes briefly dart in my direction before returning to the ball, I maintained my focus.

We had convened to discuss the expansion of one of his warehouses. While golfing wasn't exactly my cup of tea, I recognized its value for networking. Still, I'd prefer the outdoors to the confines of a boardroom any day.

Cursing under my breath as the ball missed the hole after a light tap, Eliot handed his club to the caddie. "Can't say I'm a fan either, but it beats being stuck in the office," he remarked, echoing my sentiment.

"You're the big boss, you don't have to always be in the office since you have no one to answer to," he pointed out lightly tapping my shoulder.

Following close behind, we climbed onto the golf cart and proceeded back to the country club. "Fair point, but it's important to keep putting in the work. You know just as much as I do that the downside to having a lot of resources is how quickly you can lose them if you decide to relax," I replied.

And I meant every word. The industry was always competitive and despite being able to work on constructing bridges, stadiums and skyscrapers, there was a lot of pressure to always be perfect. I often went to the sites to physically oversee everything, to ensure every detail was in place. it was exhausting but I loved my work.

"There's no point in having those resources if you can't enjoy them."

"Oh, I know you're enjoying them," I replied causing him to chuckle.

"Is that judgment I hear in your tone?" he quipped, and despite myself I laughed at the humour in his voice.

"More of admiration."

"I usually don't admit this but after what I've been through with my wife passing it was easy to believe my life was over."

"Do you ever think you'll find anyone else?" I asked thinking about the woman I saw him with not too long ago.

He pursed his lips keeping his eyes focused on the path ahead of us, "I doubt it, she was the only one who knew how to handle my tendencies."

Deciding to drop the conversation, I reasoned it was wise not to delve deeper. I reminded myself not to blur the lines; our connection was purely business. While I respected his entrepreneurial success, our interactions were transactional at best.

Soon, we returned to the bustling heart of the club, parting ways without much ceremony. As I stepped into the restaurant, my gaze instinctively sought out the bar. Yet, my search was interrupted by the sight of an unexpected yet familiar face, instantly lifting my spirits.

"Mom..." I called out, watching as her head turned in my direction.

Her eyes widened before she looked away to speak to the one person I hadn't seen in a while.

"Aunt Liv, its so good to see you," I greeted when I came to stand before them. leaning down to give my mother a hug, I reached out to also greet her with a brief hug. Although Aunt Liv wasn't biologically my aunt, she had practically been there all my life. She was childhood friends with my mother, and a mother herself to Neil.

Despite undergoing divorce she made a name for herself as a gynaecologist and every year our family always made generous donations to her hospital.

There was a period I didn't see her for months on end just before I met Julianne for some unknown reason. But I was glad they got back on good terms over the last few years.

"I swear it seems like you've always grown a few inches from the last time I saw you," she joked grabbing my cheek to give it a light squeeze. Chuckling at the gesture, if I had been a teenager, I would have certainly winced at the embarrassment of her doing that to me in public. But now I appreciated it.

"You can be so dramatic sometimes, I swear," I mumbled shaking my head and joined them after my mother gestured to the unoccupied chair.

"So, how's everything with the company?" she asked.

"It's good, more projects are coming, which means more meetings and more time in the office."

"The ladies must be fighting a losing battle over you from work," Aunt Liv said wiggling her eyebrows suggestively causing me to flush.

"Don't even start on that, Livvie, Cam won't tell his poor mother anything as to whether there are any ladies to begin with," my mother scoffed, Aunt Liv chuckled seeing the sour expression on her face, but I knew she would get over it.

I had nothing to say regarding that aspect of my life and funny enough I was content with it.

"And you say I'm dramatic," Aunt Liv murmured opening the menu, "I can feel you throwing daggers at me, Emma, you and I both know you have tendencies to throw a fit over small things."

"I do not," my mother defended causing me to purse my lips to hide how much I wanted to laugh.

"Whatever makes you sleep at night."

At the response I released a deep chuckle unable to contain it. It never failed to amuse me how much they bickered.

"There aren't any ladies, work is far too much of a priority at the moment," I replied. Aunt Liv nodded her head observing me quietly before she spoke up again.

"Understandable but don't forget to enjoy your life, even the small things such as going out for a walk, or switching off your phone can make a difference."

Nodding my head, I smiled at the mere thought of Anita. That had been one of the few highlights in my life so far and as much as she had put up these rules, it was difficult not to want her around a lot.

"As much as Livvie can be a liar," my mother muttered earning a scowl from her, she continued, "she is tight. I'm pretty sure all that stress is why you struggle to sleep sometimes."

"It's gotten better, I'm now able to get a decent amount of sleep," I assured. I could tell she wanted to say more but chose against it. For years I had struggled to sleep due to certain circumstances, but I figured out a strategy.

For the rest of the afternoon, I spent it with both ladies, reliving embarrassing experiences and reflecting on the good times that were simpler. But throughout it all, she still lingered in the back of my mind.