Part 16

POV: Thomas

The second she walked out of my office I took my hands off my keyboard and paused from typing nonsense. What the hell did I just let happen?

I set my head in my hands and I can feel the tears begin to form in my eyes. I just let her go. Oh my god... I look up to the front of my office; my vision is blurred. I feel a slight heaviness on the bottom of my right eyelid and then I feel a warm tear fall down my cheek. I quickly reach up and wipe it away. I almost feel as if my lip is about to start quivering but I take a deep breath and try not to get too emotional. The room feels hot and I feel like I could just explode. I have to get out of here. I stand up from my chair, grab my sunglasses and briskly walk out of my office. My chest feels heavy as I walk down the hallway. I walk past a few people, one being Giel; I try and ignore everyone.

“Hey Thomas "I walk past John and he tries to talk to me.

"Not now." My voice is strong but shaky. I continue my walk towards the elevators and press the button. The elevator to my right quickly opens and I walk in. I press the button for the lobby and the doors close. The only thing I hear besides the dinging of the elevator is my heartbeat. I run my hands through my hair and the doors open again. I don't even look up; I just walk through the lobby to the back exit. I really fucking hope nobody bothers me. I'm not in the mood for this. I keep my eyes glued to the floor and before I know it, I'm outside. As I walk towards the Starbucks around the corner, I feel my phone vibrate in my pocket.

"Shit..." I mumble to myself as I walk past slow tourists. I can feel people's eyes on me; I hope they get the memo that I don't want to be bothered. I grab my phone and answer it without even looking at who it is.

“Hello?”

“Thomas... Where are you?” I hear Sam’s voice come through my earpiece.

“I went to get coffee... Why?" I turn the corner and see the Starbucks about half a block down.

“John said that he was trying to pitch his idea for the new video to you and you blew him off... What's up?" I roll my eyes. I like Sam... So much. But this isn't the right time to be questioning me.

“Nothing... Really nothing. You know how I get when I haven't had my coffee in the morning... I gotta go, Sam. I'll see you at the meeting.”

“Thomas " I hang up and shove my phone back into my pocket. As I walk I take deep breaths of the Amsterdam air. It's therapeutic. I finally make it to the Starbucks and open the door. I walk to the register and the barista begins to make my usual without even asking me. I hear the girl in front of me order a caramel macchiato and I squeeze my eyes shut.

I can taste it on her lips... Gosh, her perfect lips... Her lips that used to belong to me. I could kiss them whenever I wanted to... Now I don't have that pleasure.

“Next!” I hear the guy at the counter yell. I've never seen him before... He must be new. I take a step forward and pull out my wallet.

“Hi, just a Grande House Blend..." I look down to pull out my card when I don't hear the guy reply. I look up and he's staring at me in awe.

Ugh, no.

“Oh, sorry..." He types some things down into the computer and then looks back up to me. "Mr. van der Vlugt may I just say "

“Thomas. I cut him off. immediately feel bad. "Call me Thomas..." I reach out my hand to shake his. His shocked look turns into a smile and he happily shakes my hand.

“Thomas... May | just say thank you... Um... I don't know how to say this without coming off as super personal... Ummm...." He lets out a nervous chuckle and looks down. "I'll make this quick...”