Chapter 2: Home, not home

Heaven... The Silver City...

Behind those golden gates, lies the holy kingdom of Angels. Divine beings known for their virtue and goodness, almost synonymous with righteousness and light itself.

And Halo Plaza, a large metropolis of skyscrapers and highrises, is the main city for 'winners' as Heaven would like to call them. They're simply humans who have died and reincarnated as Angels themselves.

Maria is an Angel herself. And this place is where she lives.

But make no mistake...

This is not her home.

...

[Heaven]

[God's Throne Room]

Maria teleports into Heaven, inside the throne room, from her mist. She sets two bloody halos and one beastly head in front of her, before immediately kneeling with her head bowed low.

"Father, I return from another hunt."

...

...

...

"Report." A powerful voice sounds from atop the throne, blue glowing eyes and a golden ring floating above his head.

"Three rouge Cherubs. Banished for the death of humans," Maria briefs. "There was resistance, and one succumbed to the Beastly Scourge... All were slain by your Huntress."

Humming in satisfaction, the man on the throne nods. Approving of the woman, then smiling as familiar flames light up the room, illuminating the Supreme Seraphim in all his glory.

"Well done, Maria." Michael praises, leaning back into his seat. "Those three were weak, even for Cherubs. Filth like them aren't worthy of holding the title of Angels, I'm glad you took that from them."

"They held a far greater risk should they be left alive," Maria adds. "Their death was the only logical outcome."

"Heh, I agree." Michael chuckles, before continuing. "In any case, good work, my daughter. Now onto more pressing matters..."

"Tell me, what do you know about the Annual Extermination?"

"I know that once a year, we send specialist Angels to cull the population of Hell. That these Angels are known as 'Exorcists', and they're led by the First Man, Adam. That they specifically target the first Layer of Hell, the Pride Ring, where only human reincarnated demons reside..."

"And lastly, that only the Exorcist Army and specific Seraphims are aware of its existence."

"Good, you're already quite knowledgeable." Michael nods, pleased. "Then I don't have to explain much else."

"What do you mean, father?" Maria tilts her head, but Michael only responds with divine authority behind his bright blue eyes.

"Maria, I have another mission for you..." 

ᛝ𒉭ᛦ

[Halo Plaza | Promenade]

A full 24 hours after Extermination Day... A whole day of slaughter against their unholy rivals...

And yet, Heaven doesn't seem to notice.

The majority of Heaven is blissfully unaware, living out the rest of their afterlife in peace and prosperity without a clue to the reality of the world around them.

And with only a select number of Angels even privy to this information in the first place, Maria can't help but find it hypocritical that Heaven of all places would share similarities with Earth...