Chapter 14: A Huntress's Dream

(Small Revisions 20240407)

[Halo City | Lute's Residence]

[Now]

"...Seven long years," Maria concludes, her gaze down at the table. "Of training myself. For the day I would seek vengeance and avenge my family. A final Hunt..."

Her eyes begin to water, Maria's voice becoming weak.

"But today, I learned my Hunt isn't over." Tears on the verge of falling... "I'm still stuck in this endless loop of bloodshed, all alone."

And tears did shed from her eyes, but not out of sadness.

"You're not alone," Lute squeezes her hand, an unknown warmth blooming within Maria's heart. "Because you have me here with you."

"Lute..." Maria blinks as if her eyes were deceiving her. And when they didn't, she smiled brightly. "Thank you..."

Smiling back, Lute gets out of her seat. Still holding her hand, the Archangel is surprised when her friend embraces Maria.

"You don't need to thank me," Lute tells her. "That's what friends are for."

Both Angels shared this much needed hug, holding onto each other tightly for what's only several minutes. To Maria, however, it felt like hours, having savored each second.

The Archangel had assumed the worst. Retelling her past has been a first for her and Maria believed the Exorcist would surely judge her...

But Lute didn't. In fact, the opposite happened.

She comforted her...

Maria is so damn grateful to have a friend like Lute in her life.

"It's really late," Lute points out, bashfully trying to convey her words. "And well... I think it's better if you... stay here for the night..."

"Y'know, instead of going home so close to midnight."

"Like a sleepover?" Maria tilts her head, breaking away first.

"Y-Yes..." Lute nods, replying past her dusted red cheeks. "I-If you want to, of course..."

Maria innocently laughs, not seeing the blushing Exorcist clearly.

"Sure, Lute." Maria smiles. "Tonight should be about us. I'll happily stay the night."

"Great," Lute steps away, taking their empty plates back to the kitchen. "Then, you can relax in the meantime. Let me clean everything up."

"Why don't you let me-"

"Maria," Lute interrupts, stopping the Archangel from getting up. "You're my guest. Just take it easy, you've already made dinner..."

She gives Maria a soft smile, reassuring her. Lute has only known the woman for over a week, but she can tell Maria is definitely the workaholic type.

"Let me take over, Maria. Please. You've done enough."

Staring at the Exorcist, Maria only nods in return. Words leaving her tongue at the sight of Lute's genuine care. Reminding so much like her mother's... her sister's...

Resuming her task, Lute leaves Maria sitting at the table. The Archangel deep in thought, looking down at her hands.

'This is not how I wanted tonight to end,' Maria's hands tighten, squeezing each other. 'I still have business to take care of...'

The Archangel glances back at Lute, seeing her friend hum to herself as she washes the dishes. It makes Maria ridden with guilt for what she must do.

'I'll return to the Dream when she falls asleep.'