Chapter 24: Insanity

(Maria is the Archangel of the Swift Hunt, daughter to the Warrior Angel himself... It's only right she gives the cleanest of fades to her enemies... )

As the Hunt grows closer to its end, Maria faces greater monsters...

From full-grown beasts to Eldritch aliens and even literal gods, the Huntress must cut them all down without fail. While also keeping the woman she cares for safe, the strength difference between Lute and her enemies grows with every passing hour.

Easier said than done, however. As these foes aren't the same ones she mindlessly hunts on the daily. They're intelligent, strategic, and fully capable of exploiting her every weakness...

The Exorcist included.

And yet, monsters are the least of Maria's worries. For it's not just what lurks in the darkness that threatens the Huntress. But darkness itself...

Maria's own father, Michael Moonshine.

...

[Maria's Innate Domain | The Huntress's Dream] 

[Earlier That Night] 

Before their venture into the Hidden Village and the untimely death of the Beast Eater, Maria and Lute remained in the dreamscape. Where they prepared for the great Hunt that was soon to follow...

By extracting some very vital information from their enemies. Left ripe for the taking thanks to their imprisonment by none other than the Huntress herself.

...

Screams echo all across the dreamscape, becoming louder the more they cut into him. Pale grotesque messengers unwavering at the Choir member's protests as he lies chained to the wooden cross.

"Are you done?" The woman responsible for his torment inquires. "This struggle of yours is pointless."

"F-Fuck you..." The Church member gasps, his wounds already healing thanks to her [Choir Bell]. "...Huntress."

"Hm," Maria merely narrows her eyes, mentally signaling for her children to resume his torture. "So be it..."

Groaning obediently, their blades resume. Piercing the Choir man's flesh deeper than before, invoking another shrill of agony across the flower garden hill as the Huntress watches unamused.

"...Does this take long," Lute questions beside her, crossing her arms. "I still have to finish preparing the food."

At the Exorcist's remark, Maria grimaces internally. Catching the obvious attitude in Lute's voice, her venom-laced interactions toward the Huntress only growing ever since the Moonside Lake.

"This is more important, Lute." Maria reasons, but it only earns a scoff from her friend. "And I already said I'd handle it-"

"Y'know, I can cook too." Lute interjects with a scowl. "Unless you want to keep me from that as well."

"That's not what I meant," Maria sighs, tiringly. "And you know that."

"Is it?" Lute repeats, raising an eyebrow. "Because from what I can tell, you think I'm too weak to do even that."

"Lute," Maria fully faces her. Having to raise her voice against the man's continuing screams. "Stop it."

"Stop what?!" Lute starts to yell, matching Maria's volume with an angered tone. "Telling the truth? That you're a horrible friend-!"

"Enough, Lute." Maria objects, but the Exorcist doesn't back down. "I don't want to argue-"

"And a judgmental bitch-!"