Chapter 7: High Seraphim

The High Seraphim of Heaven...

In the Angel Hierarchy, they're second only to the Elder Angels, who are the council that ultimately governs Heaven...

For Maria's mission to be completed, she needs the permission of a specific Seraphim who's in charge of the Annual Extermination...

Luckily for Maria, she lives right here in Halo City.

...

Arriving at a glass window tower, Maria sees the front lobby to be packed with bustling Angels. They're all staff, no doubt working under the High Seraphim, kind of like a CEO boss with their employees.

Maria knows if she just strolls in there, she'll be noticed on the spot. And teleportation isn't an option either, she doesn't know where the Seraphim's office is, or the layout of this building in general.

Maria will need to do some reconnaissance...

"My children, I must ask for your aid again."

With the familiar mist returning, the grotesque little messengers retrieve but a vial from the depths. Presenting it to their mother, it's a small glass bottle, filled with a mysterious blue liquid.

It's a sedative, commonly used in the practice of medicine. But for Maria, this is a solution to her current dilemma.

While it is a form of anesthesia, the substance is ineffective against the Archangel. So Maria uses this blue vial's secondary effect...

The complete and all encompassing masking of her presence, allowing her to become fully undetectable to the naked eye. 

[Flora's Blessing | Blue Elixir]

Now under the illusion of invisibility, Maria safely traverses the lobby without anyone ever noticing.

Maria sneaks behind the front desk, looking for anything she could use while the attendant beside her is conversing with another Angel.

And although she should be focused on finding anything like a map or clues as to where to go, Maria couldn't help but eavesdrop on the conversation the two Angels are having...

"-Hello!" The Angel, wearing a blue and white dress, greets with enthusiasm like Maria has never seen before. "I'm here to see Sera!"

'Sera?' Maria repeats, remembering what Adam told her. 'She's the name Adam gave me. So this... Sera is the High Seraphim in charge of the Annual Extermination. I wonder then, is this Angel...'

"Yes, just one moment please..." The attendant types something on her computer, looking up to see the Angel, and immediately widens in surprise. "Oh my goodness! My highness! I didn't notice you, forgive me!"

The Angel giggles, waving away the startled attendant's behavior.

"No, no! There's no harm," The Angel smiles. "You were merely following the rules. There's nothing to be forgiven here."