Chapter 22: Fools Playing Gods

(Revisions 20240609)

Maria has royally fucked up...

She didn't realize it then, seeing her actions as necessary to ensure her safety. But after some time, of Lute being so distant ever since Bygenwerth, the consequences have become all the clearer to her emerald eyes.

It's not a cold shoulder, but a look of distrust from Lute every time they interact. Like their time together meant nothing, friendship be damned...

All Maria wanted was to keep her safe, to not share that same gruesome fate like so many others before her.

To think it would blow up in her face like this.

Perhaps, this is a good thing. It would mean Lute would remain alive, her life free from her conscience. Even if it meant their bond would be severed completely... 

...

[Earth]

[Yharnam | Cathedral Ward] 

Silverware and ceramics clatter inside the incense-filled cathedral as everyone helps themselves to the large buffet presented to them.

Prepared by the two Angels, Maria and Lute felt it necessary to give back to Yharnam residents with them tonight. Both as a way to provide food rations for the home-driven citizens and to lighten the mood in this dark hopeless world they live in. 

(Replace the hunters with Maria and Lute)

"I gotta thank ya," The chapel dweller expressed again. "Both of ya, for this kindness. I can't say how grateful I am for this."

"Think nothing of it," Maria reassures, fixing a plate of sandwiches. "I cook as a hobby, so this is simply fun for me."

"Is that so," A blond woman muses, appearing beside the Huntress with a flirting smile. "Well, it's no wonder why this food tastes so heavenly..."

Arianna takes the plate graciously from Maria's hands, bare fingers brushing against leather gloves. Yet, the Huntress didn't seem fazed in the slightest. Only feeling uncomfortable at the blood whore's behavior.

"You have no idea how much this means to us," Arianna smiles. "In this city, your simple act comes few and far between. Trust me when I say we are all grateful for this, Lady Moonshine."

Nodding along, Maria pays her no mind as Arianna strides off with her food. Her eyes only look towards her friend nearby, Lute having watched the entire interaction with a blank expression.

Noticing Maria's gaze, the Exorcist averts her eyes. Resuming to the rest of the chapel's residents with a bright smile on her face, giving them more attention than the Huntress had received these recent days.

Maria exhales tiringly, hating this feeling of anguish in her chest. After making sure everyone has their food, she finds a place to be by herself in a quieter part of the building. Eventually, Maria settles just outside one of the many entrances, overlooking more of Cathedral Ward.