Chapter 9: Blood for Blood

(Renamed Chapter Title 20240309)

A day that will change the course of history forever...

The fateful meeting between Heaven's Exorcists and Hell's Demons... A meeting between divine predators and their prey...

Maria is to ensure this all goes off without a hitch, that is her mission...

or at least, it was.

It seems her father has other plans in mind for his Huntress than mingling as mere diplomats...

...

[Heaven]

[God's Throne Room]

"Welcome back, my daughter." Michael greets openly, seeing Maria rise from her mist. "How goes your mission."

"Fruitful," Maria replies, kneeling before his throne. "I accompanied the First Man and his daughter back from Hell, along with the body..."

"As per your orders, the demons have the Exorcist head in their possession."

Maria's father chuckles heartily at this news, his smile sharpening into a grin as he looks down at his daughter.

"Excellent..." Michael says, then tilts his head in amusement. "What's wrong, daughter? Are you doubting me and my plans?"

"...No, never." Maria shakes her head. "I'm just... confused, is all. Isn't the point of this whole mission meant to secure Heaven's safety? Wouldn't revealing the Exorcist's weakness to the demons undermine that?"

"I can see how you might think that," Michael replies. "And it may seem counterintuitive now, but make no mistake... This will secure Heaven's safety..."

"So don't think, my daughter, believe. Won't you, Maria?"

His Huntress can only nod, accepting his words well enough.

Sure, Maria has her reservations when it comes to Michael and his plans. But her father is a master tactician, given his position as not just Heaven's lord ruler but God's greatest warrior...

An Archangel of War.

"Of course, father." Maria lowers her head just a tad more, showing her loyalty. "I live to serve you, to carry out the will of Heaven's Supreme Seraphim."

Michael nods, narrowing his eyes as he holds his grin. The Seraphim leaning against his throne, satisfied with his daughter's obedience. Perhaps, it's time for another reward...

"But that isn't the only reason why you live, no?"

Maria stills in reaction, and almost immediately, the throne room begins to fill with her technique.

Her signature mist snuffs out the lit torches, plunging everything into darkness. A wave of killing intent washes over Michael, the feeling so intense that he's sure that any other being would falter instantly.

And yet, the Archangel of War keeps his grin, his expression unwavering to the deathly cold air now present and the base of his throne covered in Maria's [Hunter's Fog].

It's truly a sight to see, no matter how many times he's seen it...

His best work yet... 

M̶̼̙͖̃͊̔̿i̴̛̻͑̿̆͌̚͝ċ̷̜͍̻̣͓̈͘ḧ̴̛̛̥͈́́a̶̢̹̩̠̳͈̭̐̚͘͜e̵͍̲͖̿̿̑̽̑̾̅̉̌l̷̡̪͎̬͌̾̿̾ͅ'̶̳̩̦͉̯̉̚̚ͅş̴̞̫͍̅̊ͅ ̷̯̮͓̬̗̳̭̠̟͒P̷̦̙̜̜͗̂̓͌̕̕ę̶̻̩͕̥̼͛͂̂̈́̑͌̈́ͅȓ̴̛̞̼̮͉̲͉̣̻̀̅̒̂̓̕͜͝ͅf̴̰͚̎͐e̶̹̗̊͊̚c̸͍̊̋̎̌͌̓̅̈͠t̸̡̰͇̳̊̋͆̒̑̔͌͆͛͝ ̴̺̰̙̥̤̖̻̈́̾̈́̋͐̓̾̓̚M̷̨̰̥͎̜̼͕͚̌͂͒̅͋͗̎̀͘ą̶̯͕̦͐̌̚s̷͚̎͌͂́͝ẗ̷̝̞͙̰̝̩́ͅè̷̳̬̲ͅr̸͔͔̲͍̀̋͆̅̀̈̓̚p̴̢̼̘̲̭̗̟̆̆̃̂̀̋̌̕i̷̢̛̜̖͈̼̒̋̃͝͝ͅe̷̦̥͑̆̓̏̃͝ç̸͚̣̙̲̫̫̑ę̴̜̦̱̼̤̰̻͓͂͌͛̐̀̈́̈́͜͠.̵̨̞͉̪̣̬̰͕̠̍̓̑̑̂̋́́.̵̬̮̞̮̲̱̼̫͎̅̂̈́̽̈́̕ͅ.̴̣̅̓̊͒̀͝