Twenty Three

"How's that healing up?" Billie asked while setting groceries on the counter and walking up to her girlfriend who was sitting on the couch with the grey dog.
  "It itches. I know I know... That means it's healing but it really REALLY itches."
     Demi groaned making Billie let out a small laugh.
    "That just means it's healing. Sit tight i'm gonna start on dinner." Billie said, kissing the brunette on the lips.
   "Okay baby." Demi smiled.
    Demi loved it when Billie made dinner. She preferred Billie's cooking over anyone else's. Billie was her own personal chef.
   After Billie made dinner she brought both plates to the living room and sat next to Demi. "It's Lentil Bolognese. I never made it before but I heard really good things about it."
    Billie said, watching Demi take a bite. Her eyes widened with surprise.
   "Woah this is really good!" Demi said in awe. Billie then took a bite and agreed with the younger girl.
   Soon after dinner Billie carried the younger girl up to her office so she could get some phone calls in.
   She sat there, at her desk while Demi scrolled on her phone.
    "Demi love." Billie calmly said.
"Yeah bebe?" Demi whispered, her voice sounding tired.
    "I'm gonna be in here for a while. Do you want me to take me to the room so you can sleep? You look exhausted." Billie questioned.
    Demi shook her head and ran her hand through her hair.
    "No no bebe. I want to stay in here with you."
Billie sat back in the chair and patted her lap.
    "Come over here. Be careful with your leg." Billie whispered.
    Demi carefully limped over to Billie and sat on her lap, facing Billie.
     "You smell good Bil." Demi whispered, hugging Billie and pushing her face into her neck. She let out a sigh making Billie tighten her arms around Demi.
    "Thank you ma." Billie said just as her phone began to ring. Demi was still attached to her but Billie didn't care. She wrapped one arm around the girl, securing her body so she doesn't slip off of Billie's lap in any way.
     "What's up boss?" Billie's soft voice said while rubbing Demi's back.
      "No no no. I'm not doing any missions tonight. I'm with my girl. She's healing."
    "No don't say no fuck shit to me. You got the boys. Send them out. I told you my girl is healing from being stabbed. She can't come with and I'm not leaving her home. That's an easy target."
    Billie hung up the phone and held her girlfriend tightly.
    "Bil. You can go if you need to. I don't want to hold you back." Demi said while twisting a strand of Billie's hair.
    "I said I'm not going. That's final. It's time for bed. I'm tired." Billie carried the younger girl to the bedroom and laid her in the bed before disappearing into the bathroom for a shower.
    By the time she got out of the shower Demi was already asleep. She wasn't covered with the blanket or anything.
   She had dried tear stains on her face and her nose was ever so slightly red.
    Billie sighed and climbed into bed beside her, pulling her toward her chest, without waking her up. And then Billie fell asleep.