Chapter Twenty-Three

Mia's P.O.V.

My heart was pumping faster than usual. My breathing ragged and my hands were sweating profusely as I pulled away from Jeremy's embrace. I looked over at the doctor. Doctor Cynthia, was it? I haven't the slightest clue but I do know that I wanted Jeremy back home. Healthy and normal again.

"When can we do the operation?" I questioned as Jeremy's hold on my hand got tighter. The doctor flashed me a gentle smile as she pushed her glasses further up her nose. "As soon as you would like it to be done." I looked over at Jeremy and demanded an answer with my eyes. His cool blue eyes were clouded with all kinds of emotions. Estatic, sad, scared and shocked. "It's all up to you, Jeremy." I whispered in a term of private conversation.

"You'll be here? With me?" he asked, his eyes filled with fear and tears. I nodded and pressed a kiss to his forehead. "I will. I am not leaving your side." He nodded and I looked back at Cynthia. "We're ready, Doc." Cynthia's whole face beamed with happiness as she clapped her hands merrily. "Alright then. I will just give your Mom a call and we'll start the surgery at 6 o'clock." We nodded our heads simultaneously.

I touched his cheek tenderly, loving the feel of his smooth skin under my fingertips.

"You ready for this, big boy?" He chuckled nervously as he rubbed the back of his neck. A recent nervous habit. "Sure am. Call the guys for me, will you?" I nodded, pressed a long kiss on his lips and stood up from the bed. "I'll be just be awhile, okay?" He nodded his head, sending me a thumbs-up sign.

I fished my phone out of my jeans pocket and strode out of the room. I dialed Chris' number first and pressed the phone to my ear. I listened to the dial tone go off -

Once. . .Twice. . .Thr-

"Hello?" came the familiar, sleep laced voice from the other side of the line.

"Chris? Hey, it's Mia."

I heard a couple of feet shuffling, door slamming shut before -

"Mia? What is it? Is it Jeremy?" He asked worriedly. I noticed that he was whispering. His parents must have been asleep, they were light sleepers after all. "Yes, it is. They have found a heart for him and the doctor said that he could start surgery right away." A momentary pause stretched between both of our lines. "I'll be there in 15 and I'll get the others as well. Just - stay there with Jeremy, okay?"

I nodded my head and stupidly realized that he couldn't see me. "Yes, of course."

Zachery Tomson - 2nd New P.O.V.

At 5.30 p.m., we all huddled up in the waiting room. All of us were trying as hard as posibble to not stare at Mia because of the worried expresions she had plastered on as the minutes ticked by. Biting of lips, muttering inaudibly and hushed whispers was going back and forth between the group. Truth be told, I was gettng kind of sick of it. My head was throbbing with enough worries for the week and this was just driving me insane. 

"You okay there, Tomson?" 

I lifted up my eyes and met those gorgeous blue eyes of my girlfriend's who was the only one vouching on me in this. "You know the answer to that, Lively." That was us. The constant exchange of last names and the need of not wanting to worry too much about things. She shrugged and plopped down into a seat next to me. "Rough night?" she questioned again but more quietly as she ran her index finger up and down my arm. 

"Hmm," I mumbled as I laid my head on her slender shoulders and draped my arms around her torso. "Just beat," I chortled. "Everyone is, Tomson." 

I nodded my head and opened my mouth to say something when the sound of rollers hitting the pavement rushed to my ears.