𝐕𝐈𝐈𝐈. the stupid, heroic sunshine boy

CHAPTER VIII
the stupid, heroic sunshine boy

CHAPTER VIIIthe stupid, heroic sunshine boy

"ITS SIX HUNDRED AND THIRTY FEET WIDE. Six hundred and thirty feet tall. Both two within an inch." Annabeth explained to the group as they made their way to the St. Louis Gateway Arch. "It's held up by symmetry. It's held up by math!"

After escaping the train, they needed a safe place to hold up. Annabeth led them to the Arch, informing them that it's a temple for Athena. No monsters were allowed in, and they'd be safe for the meantime. On the way there, Annabeth rambled nonstop about all the architecture.

"And it's earthquake proof, so Poseidon can't ruin it." She added.

"Nice," Percy noted.

They made their way through the crowds.

"This is how you show Athena your love," Annabeth informed. "A monument to the power of perfection."

"It's a monument to some other stuff too," Grover reminded. His eyes landing on the display of buffalo.

"You're talking about what some humans want this place to be about," Annabeth corrected. "I'm talking about what it actually is."

"Whatever," Grover mumbled. "We're safe here right?"

"No monsters can enter. Not even Echidna." Annabeth reassured. "We're safe."

"Great. Well since our train exploded, I'm gonna see if there's another one we can get tickets on. We can't stay here forever," Grover's eyes wandered to a painting of a bison being hunted. Above it was the words Manifest Destiny. "Just because we're prey doesn't mean we need to be helpless." He walked away, clearly upset.

"I'll go with him," Scarlett told Annabeth and Percy. She headed to where the satyr was waiting in line.

"You know Annabeth didn't mean to snap at you, right?" Scarlett asked.

"I know she didn't. It's just..." Grover sighed. "This isn't right," He gestured to all the displays of animals being hunted.

"It isn't. It really isn't." Scarlett agreed. "I'm sorry Grover."

"It isn't your fault." Grover shrugged.

They then looked back to where Annabeth and Percy were, and saw them laughing together.

"Well, at least they're getting along," Grover commented.

"Uh huh," Scarlett nodded.

They waited in line for the next few minutes. As Grover talked to the worker, Scarlett glanced back at Percy and Annabeth. They seemed to be having a civil conversation, without wanting to strangle each other. That was a huge improvement from yesterday. She then noticed how pale Percy became. He looked really sick, like he was going to pass out or something. Then she felt someone elbow her.