𝐗𝐕. a really deep cut

CHAPTER XV
a really deep cut

   ARRIVING BACK TO CAMP was awkward

   ARRIVING BACK TO CAMP was awkward. Campers stared at Scarlett, Annabeth, and Grover, with a mixture of curiosity and surprise. It was like they were wondering how they were able to come back from their failed quest alive. At least mostly alivePercy was still up on Olympus. His fate is still to be determined.

Luke immediately greeted them with his usual smile, pulling Annabeth into a quick hug. Then they got ushered into Chiron's office to spill all the details. By the end, the look on the centaur's face looked like years were taken off his immortal life.

  When they left his office, Luke walked Annabeth and Scarlett back to their cabins to get settled. Scarlett saw Clarisse in the distance, laughing with her siblings.

  "So you didn't tell Chiron about Clarisse." Scarlett eyed Luke curiously.

   Luke shook his head. "Camp was too much of a mess. One accusation against her everything would've gone to flames."

  He continued. "When Percy comes back, I'll take him to meet Chiron during the celebration. That way it won't look suspicious." He smiled, but it seemed almost nervous.

  Annabeth nodded. "Okay, sounds like a plan."

  Scarlett furrowed her brow. "Celebration?"

  Luke chuckled. "You guys survived and completed your quest. Basically heroes."

  "Technically we failed it by missing the deadline." Scarlett quipped.

  Luke scoffed lightly. "Come on, lighten up. You guys helped stop a a war. You kids deserve it." He put a hand on their shoulders. "Seriously, I'm proud of you guys,"

  Annabeth beamed at him. Luke and Annabeth always had a strong, sibling bond. They grew up together, and he was basically her family. Luke acted like an older brother to everyone, but he truly was Annabeth's.

  They dropped Annabeth off at cabin six. Luke continued to walk Scarlett to their cabin. As they walked, Scarlett noticed Luke seeming more tense, like he was hiding something. He looked around camp, as if thinking someone would see right through him.

"You good?" Scarlett asked, trying not to act suspicious.

Luke froze for a moment, then nodded straight away. "Yeah, just a lot on my mind, don't worry about it." He waved her off. "Hey, where did your necklace go?" Luke asked curiously. Though it seemed pretty obvious he was deflecting.

  "I gave it to Percy." Scarlett answered, nonchalantly. "For luck."

  Luke nodded. "Hmm."

  "What?" Scarlett demanded, her eyes narrowing.

   "Nothing." Luke shrugged, a smile tugging on his face. "So you and Percy are friends?"

  "Maybe," Scarlett mumbled.

   Luke heard her and his smile widened. "That's really great, Scar." he ruffled her hair fondly. Scarlett groaned, pushing him away. Luke burst out laughing in response.