𝐈𝐈𝐈. observations and realizations

CHAPTER III
observations and realizations

CHAPTER IIIobservations and realizations

SCARLETT LOVED WHEN it was night. She loved taking nightly strolls while everyone was in their cabins. It was calming; for once the camp was quiet, no yelling or chatter. It was just her, the moon, and the stars.

However, her serenity only lasted about five minutes, when she saw a panicked Grover crossing her way.

Scarlett wasn't necessarily friends with Grover, but she didn't hate the satyr. He was nice to her whenever they did talk, and didn't fear her. Well, maybe he did—but it's not like he ignored her because of it.

"Oh, hey Scarlett," Grover greeted her, with a smile. In his eyes, she could tell he was stressed.

"Hey, Grover," Scarlett said. "You okay?"

Grover sighed. "It's something with Percy,"

Scarlett nodded. "Wanna talk about it?"

Usually, Scarlett wasn't nosy. She did the right thing asking if he was okay, then would've left him be. But suddenly her interest shot up when Percy got mentioned.

Grover looked hesitant. "I...I don't really know if it's a good idea. I'm not supposed to tell anyone."

"Okay," Scarlett just nodded. "Well good night, Grover,"

She began to walk away, when she heard Grover's voice.

"It's his mom," He blurted out. "She's alive,"

Scarlett turned back, her eyes widening.

Grover briefly explained what happened: how his mom was trapped in Hades' realm, and how Mr. D and Chiron requested him not to tell Percy. Scarlett thought that was bull.

"They're just going to let him believe his mom is dead?" Scarlett scoffed incredulous.

Grover hung his head sadly. "Please don't tell him. Or anyone else. I really don't want to be scooping up horse poop."

Scarlett debated on whether or not to tell Annabeth. Then she remembered that it wasn't really her place. Percy deserved to know his mother was alive before anyone else. It wasn't fair that she got to know before him, and that it was supposed to be kept a secret from him.

"You're secret is safe with me."

THE NEXT MORNING, SCARLETT was in the Hermes Cabin, writing in her gratitude journal. On the first day of camp this year, Oliver gave her a maroon journal to write her feelings down. She thought it was a gag gift, but Oliver seemed pretty genuine when explaining how to use it. Apparently he wants her to be more in touch with her feelings and shit.