𝐕. oh golly, the road's getting bumpy !

CHAPTER V
oh golly, the road's getting bumpy !

CHAPTER Voh golly, the road's getting bumpy !

WHAT WAS SHE THINKING.

   Agreeing to go on a quest with Percy Jackson. Who was she? This was not her at all. Maybe Scarlett actually did lose her mind.

Unfortunately, it was too late to back down. The news of Percy choosing her spread rapidly around camp. As expected, everyone was taken by complete surprise. Even Chiron was caught off guard. But Scarlett didn't mind. She could handle a quest. If she could scare people at camp with a single glance, then she could totally take care of monsters.

Scarlett was sitting on her bunk, finalizing everything to put in dark blue backpack.

"So your first big quest day, huh?" Luke came over to her with a friendly smile.

"Unfortunately," Scarlett sighed, zipping up her bag. "Don't you think it's weird? That Zeus could lose his bolt?"

"The security on Olympus was horrible," Luke chuckled. Scarlett gave him a curious look.

"On the field trip there, during the winter-solstice," Luke added quickly. "Didn't feel really secure there. If the security is like that all the time, then it must've been real easy to steal."

Scarlett just nodded. "Sounds like the gods. Being arrogant enough to think no one can steal from them."

  Luke grinned almost proudly. "You get it."

  Scarlett stood up, putting on a black denim jacket. "I should get going." She slung the backpack over her shoulder.

"For the record though," Luke said. "I think you're the perfect fit for the quest."

Scarlett raised her eyebrow.

"You're strong, Scar." He said. "And you deserve more credit. From people here and the gods."

  Scarlett isn't one to care for opinions. But for some reason, it felt nice to hear Luke praise her, and tell her she was great for the quest. She wasn't very used to receiving compliments.

"I'm just doing this for Annabeth," Scarlett told him. "I couldn't care less about the gods, or Zeus's stupid bolt."

  Luke went quiet for a moment, like he was contemplating something.

  "What?" Scarlett couldn't help but stare at the thick white scar that ran across his eye. It looked like an old knife slash. He had gotten it two years ago, when he went on his quest. Luke never liked talking about it though.

  "Oh, nothing." Luke smiled, and patted her shoulder. "Just take care of each other, okay?"

With that, Luke went over to grab a box with a pair of red sneakers. Then he headed over to the Poseidon cabin to give them to Percy.