𝐈𝐈𝐈. another son of poseidon

CHAPTER III
another son of poseidon

  THE MOMENT SCARLETT STEPPED INTO CAMP, she could feel that something was off

  On the surface, things looked pretty normal. The Big House was still standing, the strawberry fields basked in the sunlight. White-columned Greek buildings scattered across the valley—the amphitheater, dining pavilion, and combat arena.

  However, instead of friendly volleyball games in the sandpit, councilors and satyrs were gathering weapons in the tool shed. The forest looked sick, the grass pale yellow, and the fire marks on Half-Blood Hill acting as ugly scars.

Tyson was oblivious to all this. "Whasthat!" He gasped, in clear fascination.

  "The stables for pegasi," Percy replied. "The winged horses."

  "Whasthat!"

  "Um . . . those are the toilets."

  "Whasthat!"

  "The cabins for the campers. If they don't know who your Olympian parent is, they put you in the Hermes cabin — that brown one over there— until you're determined. Then, once they know, they put you in your dad or mom's group," Percy explained.

  "And if your parent doesn't have a cabin, then you rot in the Hermes cabin for the rest of your stay," Scarlett added bluntly.

  Annabeth shot her a look. Scarlett shrugged casually in response. It was the truth.

  Tyson just looked at Percy in awe. "Do you . . . do you have a cabin?"

  "Number three." Percy pointed to a gray building made of sea stone.

  "You live with friends in the cabin?"

  "No. No, just me."

When they got to the Big House, Chiron was in his apartment, listening to his favorite 1960s lounge music. He was packing his saddlebags.

  Tyson froze as soon as he saw him. "Pony!" he cried.

  Chiron turned to him, offended. "I beg your pardon?"

  Annabeth ran up and hugged him. "Chiron, what's happening? You're not . . . leaving?" Her voice was shaky. Chiron was like a father to her.

  Chiron ruffled her hair and gave her a kindly smile. "Hello, child," He looked at Percy. "Percy, my goodness. You've grown over the year!"

  Then he glanced at Scarlett, his smile turning uneasy. "It is good to see you too, Scarlett,"

  Scarlett just nodded, her eyes narrowing slightly at how weird he sounded. No one else seemed to pick up on it. She knew Chiron liked her—even if he did pull her aside to talk about things she's done.