nine.

a small sob escaped him as he threw a pencil holder across the room, tears falling as he watched it make another dent in the wall of his room.

he made sure his bedroom door was locked so no one could come inside.

falling down to a squat, he buried his face into his knees as his hand tugged on his curls, crying loudly as his chest heaved.

he bit down on his lip in hopes of muffling his cries and rubbed his eyes with his knuckles, hoping to stop the tears quicker.

his eyes caught on the fresher cuts on his arm, falling down to his ass as he sat against the side of his bed frame.

he struggled to catch his breath, putting a hand to his heart as he tried to calm down.

just as he blinked a slow tear down his cheek, he heard his phone ring from his bed and with hope that it was el, he reached for it.

only to see it wasn't.

he picked up either way. "hey, mike. you wanna head downtown for dinner?"

he remained silent, afraid that if he responds, a sob would escape.

"mike? you there, man?" lucas asked as a shuddered breath escaped him. "yeah," his voice was so quiet that he thought lucas didn't even hear him.

he paused. "mike, you okay? hey, we can come down to yours right now,"

"no, it's fine," he whispered, looking down between his bent knees. "you guys go. have fun,"

"mike, seriously, we can come down there right to keep you company. max and i are leaving now, we'll be there in a few. i'll make sure dustin and will make it there,"

"but my parents,"

"we can hang out in your basement. hey, you hiding something there, wheeler?" he teased mike which made him squeeze out a smile. "come on, mike,"

he rubbed his eyes and sighed. "you guys can come. there's no food though,"

"no worries, dustin can bring takeout." lucas said before saying, "we'll be there real soon,"

"yeah, don't be a sobbing mess when we get there! we're playing mario!" max exclaimed from the background as lucas shushed her.

mike let out a chuckle. "i won't. thanks lucas, see you in a few," he said gently before hanging up the phone.

he rubbed his eyes, feeling more tears form as his eyes glassed.

he barely saw the text message appear on his lock screen before he forced himself to look at it.

el: hope you're doing ok this afternoon, this may cheer you up if needed??

el: one image.

he pressed into it, feeling a smile form at the photo she sent him.

a picture of cosmo curled up agaisnt a plush bunny almost the size of him.

he typed a reply.

mike: it did. thank you

el: :)) i csnt really text rn bc i'm about to go out for dinner

el: you eat yet?

mike: eh kinda

el: oh...

el: don't be sad, make a cup noodle later and i'll send u photos of my food!

mike: you better. and yeah i'll make some food later