fourteen.

she nervously played with the end of her short skirt as she sat in the passenger's seat of his car.

looking down, she began to think. why am i here? i haven't even told him my name yet.

el, you want to finish your bucket list, don't you? this is a great opportunity. he asked you! you don't have to talk to the mall guy who wasn't even that good looking.

she peered over at him. but am i using him?

and why am i not telling mike? why am i keeping it a secret? why am i here when i like MIKE!?

he's going on a date with another girl...

her eyes shut as she tried to get rid of her thoughts. mike would never like you.

"we're here," he said softly as they stopped in front of the ice cream parlour. "i figured you'd probably want a treat,"

she gave a weak smile and nodded. "yeah," she took off her mask and placed it in her bag before unbuckling her seatbelt.

he did the same, turning off the car before rushing out to circle it and open the door for her.

she looked up, mouth agaped in shock at the gesture before she looked down shyly and exited the car.

he was a step behind her, a hand out by her lower back but not touching her, as they entered the parlour.

they sat by a booth before looking over the menu for the ice cream boats.

she stayed silent, nervously rubbing her hand up and down her thigh which he noticed.

"hey, uh, if you don't want ice cream, we can—"

she shook her head. "no, no. i want... but i don't know which one. i just want the biggest one,"

he smirked and then answered her lowly. "i know just the one. wait here," he got up from the booth to order at the counter.

she watched him, smiling softly at the view of his back until her smile dropped remembering how she hasn't texted mike yet.

her mike.

but then, she frowned. he was on a date... with someone he actually likes.

she felt bad for using this mike. should she tell him?

there was no way she would ever like him because she liked her mike.

she only agreed to this date because she wouldn't need to suck it up to ask the mall guy.

sadness dawned over her as she looked down to her phone, waiting for his text just as her date walked back to the table with an ice cream boat.

his brows furrowed seeing her expression. "what's wrong?"

her head shook like usual. "nothing... nothing, i'm fine." she bent forward and smiled at the sight of the ice cream. "this looks good,"

he grinned and handed her a plastic spoon. "it is,"

she took a small bite and smiled to herself before holding a spoon out to him.

you're using him, at least be nice to him. tell him, el. this won't work. it's just a date.

the guilt grew within her at the sight of his smile.

she wasn't dumb. she knew he liked her but... but maybe it was just a crush.

something that would pass.

bending, due to his height, he took the spoon into his mouth and smiled. "tastes good," he breathed out as she retreated back.