04

CHAPTER FOUR

༶•┈┈୨♡୧┈┈•༶

The partner pairs were spread out across the classroom with their class textbooks open, doing research on their assigned magical creature.

"I don't know about you, but I'd actually like to get an A on this assignment," Cedric remarked, throwing a nasty look Ellie's way. "So let's please hurry up and find the page."

"Look, Diggory, I'm about half as happy as you are to be paired up, so if you want me to hurry, how about you do it yourself?" Ellie snapped, offering him the book. She closed it as well, just to be petty.

"I'll probably find it faster, so don't mind if I do," Cedric retorted, taking the book from her hands. His fingers brushed hers on the underside of the book, and Ellie wasn't quite sure why, but his touch sent shocks up her wrist and down her spine. He began flipping through the book and quickly found the Mooncalf page.

"We obviously have to name her," Ellie said, taking out some parchment and her quill that required no ink. "I mean, do we just keep calling her Mooncalf?" Hagrid, who had already assigned the animals, gave them a basic one page report on their animal's current habits and information to note.

"You can do the name," Cedric muttered dismissively.

"How about..." Ellie tapped the feather end of the quill to her chin. "Dahlia?"

He looked up at her and gave her an odd look, his brows furrowed. "Like my mom?"

"Of course. Do you not like the name?"

"I think it's lovely, but why Dahlia?"

"I dunno," she replied, shrugging. "It just seems to fit." 

The two worked in silence for a while, Ellie leaning over Cedric's shoulder to peek at whatever it was she needed to copy down for the project, Cedric making sure she got everything right. They hardly needed to say a word.

After about a good hour, Ellie set the quill down and stretched her arms out, looking over at the large windows next to them. "I love rain. Storms, especially."

He let out a chuckle. "I know." Cedric's eyes remained focused on the book as he copied down some basic information onto their sheet, like what the Mooncalf eats at certain ages, how many times a day they need to be fed, etcetera.

Ellie scrunched her nose and looked up at him. "How do you know I love rain?"

"Eleanor, you do know that half the things you're constantly rambling on and on about are the same things you've told my parents about," he reminded her. "I've heard you talk to them about a love for rain and storms for a long time. Since we were seven, maybe. Plus, my mom loves them as well. You two obsess over them together."

Ellie smiled a little at the thought of Cedric's mother. Dahlia Diggory was the sweetest person she had ever met in her life. Unlike her son, she was kind, soft-spoken, and a little bit private. But once Dahlia Diggory trusted you, she would tell you mostly anything. "You're going to have to tell her I say hello the next time you write home. I miss your mom."

She could have sworn she saw a light pink tint in Cedric's face as he looked back down at his paper. "You know, this might be the longest we've gone without fighting," he told her, a smirk painted onto his face.

Ellie groaned, laying her head in her arms on the desk. "Here we go again."

༶•┈┈୨♡୧┈┈•༶