The Billionaire Affair chapter 8

Chapter Eight

“So how do you know Griffin Barrett?” Lucas asked as he sat next to Paloma on the dais as Michael’s best man wowed the crowd with funny tails of his and Michael’s youth.

He had been patient or impatient as some of his staff might say, to speak with her. But since the day he saw her talking to Barrett, they had both been too busy for more then quick phone conversations. He from a penthouse in Malaysia, were he was building another resort, and her from her bed, weary from days monitoring her two current brides, and pleasing their every demand.

“Could you believe that your sister wanted the bridesmaids to wear, puce green dresses?” Paloma had complained one night “And I know she’s only doing it because you have Michael held hostage in a third world country”

Lucas had laughed “I am not holding him hostage Pippin; he’s here to do his job, so Ana will just have to be patient”

She muttered beneath her breath, but he heard her say “Titans don’t do patience”

His sister’s engagement party was the first chance he had had to see her face to face again. He tried to keep the sight of her in an ancient Greek style dress, her thick black hair twisted into braids, distract him. But, boy was it hard.

“Griffin?” Paloma frowned setting his teeth on edge using his first name which spoke of familiarity.

“His wife is a friend of mine and Ana’s from school days, why?”

“I saw you speaking to him after you left my place” Lucas watched her eyes for any sigh of deceit, but she just met his eyes head on.

“I see” she nodded her head “You think that he might be a ‘high bidder’” Paloma snapped lowly her eyes spitting fire at him “You are determined to think the worst of me aren’t you? No matter what I could possibly say, in your mind I’m always the bad one, right?” Paloma scooted her chair back and bent to speak softly to Ana, then turned and left quickly.

Lucas pushed his chair back to go after, but his father stopped him with a hand on his shoulder “Not now” Peter Titan spoke softly but his blue eyes glared into Lucas’ “You can apologize for whatever you did later”

Lucas sprawled lower in the chair, crossing his arms “what makes you think I did anything wrong?”

Peter smiled but the smile didn’t reach his eyes, the smile was only for the guests who might be watching father and son “Paloma had tears in her eyes, and I don’t think they were tears of laughter”

Lucas bolted up and thankfully the guests stood too as they applauded the best man’s speech. Weaving through guests Lucas impatiently waved away those who came forward to speak with him about whatever. He had one thing one his mind. Finding Paloma had telling her he was sorry.

Outside Lucas stopped short. Wait, he hadn’t actually accused her of anything. He had only asked if she knew Barrett. It was she who jumped to conclusions about his question.

But she had been crying. Shaking his head Lucas remembered how Ana had been able to cry on whim, which made most men fall over each other trying to please her. Who’s to say she didn’t teach that neat trick to Paloma?

“I did nothing wrong” Lucas said out loud

But inside he still felt guilty. Maybe it was time for another trip to one of his other resorts.

Paloma locked her door behind her, leaning against it with her eyes closed. Half way home in the taxi she had realized she might have over reacted to his question.