Chapter 18

Paloma opened her eyes as the first wave of morning sickness hit her. Easing out of bed, she rushed towards the bathroom locking the door and turning on the faucet, before she lost the steak they had ordered last night.

Breathing heavily, she leaned against the door for a moment before standing and walking to the sink to brush her teeth. Frowning at her pale complexion, she tried pinching her cheeks, but that didn’t work like all the romance novels said it would. Giving up she opened the bathroom door.

Lucas lay spread face down, lightly snoring. Stopping beside the bed, she turned his face so he could breath and ran her fingers through his dark hair softly so not to wake him. Would their child look like him? With the long dark lashes and Ceridian eyes of its father or her hazel eyes.

Shaking her head at her foolish thoughts, she turned and left the room. Since she was awake she might as well start breakfast and check her emails. The bank should have gotten back to her by now.

After starting breakfast, she checked on Lucas again, before going into his office and booting up his computer to check her email. As she sat in his big chair she smiled at the picture of him and Ana taken the night of their graduation.  Surprising her, there was also had a picture of her and him on his desk in the red dress she had worn.

The smile on her face was goofy in her mind, but she had been in love with the man who stood next to her smiling smugly into the camera and when he had wrapped his arm around her, she swore she was going to melt. She ran a fingertip over his smiling face and sighed. The picture had been taken before the confrontation in the hall.

Quickly checking her email and seeing no new messages, Paloma sighed and shut the computer down. As she walked around the desk her robe knocked a folder of the desk, without looking at it she picked it back up, then went and checked on the food before getting dressed.

Once the food was done, piled it all on to a tray then stepped back and looked at it. Something was missing, snapping her fingers; she picked up the tray then walked into the study. Placing the tray down, she walked over to the bar and grabbed an empty snifter and placed two flowers inside then brought back to the tray.

The folder fell again when she moved the tray. Shaking her head at her clumsiness she bent down to pick it up but stopped when she saw a picture had fell out. Her mouth dropped when she saw it was a pic of her and Griffin. Opening the folder she saw more pictures of her and Griff. What the hell was going?

“Ah here you are Pippin” Lucas entered the study but stopped short when Paloma whirled around and threw a pastry at him and it hit him square in the chest.

“Why do you have these pictures of me and Griffin?” she demanded picking up another pastry ‘Where you having me followed?”

Lucas scowled down at the sticky spot on his chest “I wasn’t having you followed”

She lowered her arm.

“Blake Westby gave me the pictures” Lucas said raising a brow when she threw another a pastry “Didn’t Maria ever tell you to not play with your food?”