Chapter 14

Thanks to those that have rode along thus far. I promise Paloma will be vindicated :)

COMMENT AND VOTE!

                                       CHAPTER 14

Paloma closed the door on her aunts’ brownstone, and slowly slid to the floor, the doctor’s diagnosis loud in her head still. She had put up a mask of calmness in front of Ana, who had balked at having to leave the examining room, but inside she had felt like she was going to get hysterical.

“Well, my dear I’m pleased that it’s nothing serious” The doctor had smiled at Paloma “You’re pregnant”

She almost passed out again, but held on to reality, just long enough for the doctor to prescribe prenatal vitamins and give her the name of an OB/GYN. Then she still remained calm as Ana peppered her with questions as Raymond drove them to Paloma’s home. And though Ana demanded to stay with her, Paloma had refused and wouldn’t budge. She loved Ana, but right now she needed some time to herself.

Ana was her best friend and besides the reason she left, she had never kept anything from her friend. But this time she had to. At least until she figured out what she was going to do about carrying Lucas’s child.

Lucas had to be told, but how would he react to the news he’s going to be an unwilling father? He’d probably run so fast he’d put scuffs in his Aldo shoes.

Getting to her feet, Paloma slowly walked into her bedroom undressing as she went. She was so tired that she couldn’t think straight, after a nice long nap, she’d be ready to make decisions.

Right now was not the time to decide her and her child’s future.

                            XXXXX

Lucas sat staring at his computer screen blankly as the conversation he had just had ran through his head over and over.

Blake Westby had called him and asked if he could stop by the office. He hadn’t said why, just that it had to do with Paloma and Westby thought Lucas should hear him out.

So he had agreed, then immediately wanted to recant his approval. Did it matter whatever Westby had to say? Should he refuse the man entrance?

The questions flew around his mind, as he stood and walked over to the window and looked out onto Manhattan during sunset. Not that you could really see the sunset with all the large buildings, but the glow was still there bathing the cold streets.

What was he doing? He thought suddenly, Westby has nothing of interest his own investigator hadn’t found out already. Turning around he stalked towards the door, intent on telling Shelly to cancel the appointment.

But as he opened the door, the outer door opened and in walked a man who looked as if he could be a model, tapping a folder against his leg.  Swimmers body tall and lean, about an inch or so shorter then him, with bright blonde hair, light blue eyes and a megawatt smile which he bestowed on Shelly who just blinked at him. And dressed as if he didn’t do anything all day but hang out at the Country Club crisply pressed chino’s and a pale pink polo shirt with a sweater tied around his neck.