Chapter 22

Chapter Twenty-Two

Maria’s mouth dropped open then she jumped up and hugged Paloma “You’re pregnant?”

Paloma nodded “Almost ten weeks”

“Have you told Lucas yet?” Maria asked.

Paloma shook her head “I can’t” she whispered.

“You can’t hide it from him forever, his sister is your best friend” Maria sat back down “However I am ecstatic about being a grandmother”

“You’re not mad about me being an un-wed mother?”

Maria shook her head “Not at all. I’m not so old fashioned that I’m against a woman raising a child by herself” Besides she knew once Lucas found out, he would do the right thing.

Paloma sighed “Thank you, I was worried you would be disappointed in me”

“Never,” Maria admonished “You are my only child and have made me more proud then a mother should be”

“But you should tell Lucas before it’s too late”

“I will but it’s hard to just blurt out to the man who thinks you’re a gold-digger that you’re having his baby” Paloma sighed “Just give me some time”

Maria nodded her head “So what do you want to do today?”

“I have no idea, I’m so tired it’s hard to think” she frowned

“Why don’t you go up and take a nap?” Maria suggested “When you wake up, we’ll go shopping or out to dinner”

Paloma rose and kissed her mother “I have the best mom” she smiled.

Maria’s smile turned to a frown as her daughter left the kitchen. Her daughter was having a hard time and there been nothing she could do about it. Standing up, she cleared the table and went to watch some television. Maybe an idea would come to her.

                  XXXXXX

Paloma opened her eyes slowly and sat up. Pleased when she didn’t have to run to the bathroom. Slowly sliding out of her bed, she stood and stretched. She hadn’t slept so well in a long time.

Smiling she walked out the room and down the stairs to the living room “mama?” she called out when she didn’t see her mother in the living room or the kitchen.

‘Sorry love, she had to run out” a voice sneered from behind her.

Turning around Paloma faced Blake “What are you doing in here?”

“Is that anyway to treat your fiancé?” he laughed and tossed the paper on the table between them.