Chapter 15

“You look pale, nija” Paloma’s mom, Maria put a hand to her forehead “Are you getting sick?” She frowned at her only child.

“No mama, I am just tired from running after Ana” Paloma smiled as she sat across from her mother eating a Spanish breakfast of café con leche and her mama’s sweet rolls. Just able to hold everything down “She finally decided on a gown and the shop is in overdrive so it’ll be ready”

Maria laughed “Ana Titan getting married, her husband will have his hands full” she loved Ana like a daughter, but the girl was like a steamroller sometimes.

“Michael loves her, faults and all” Paloma laughed ‘And I think he knows all of them already” she stood and took her plates and cup to the sink. Turning around she peered closely at her mother. Maria Reyes was still a beautiful woman inside and out and took care of herself with daily walks and jogs with her bridge group. Her black hair was just starting to grey at the temples, but her eye warm brown eyes still looked intelligent. And she noticed everything going on around her.

Stifling another yawn Paloma flopped back down on the chair “I am happy you are back, mama” she yawned unable to catch that one.

“Is Lucas keeping you up late?” Maria asked with a raised brow as she stirred sugar into her tea

Paloma’s mouth dropped open ‘W-what do you mean?”

“Peter has kept me informed of our children’s-attraction to each other”

Peter?” Paloma smiled “Since when do you call Mr. Titan by his first name?”

“We are not discussing me un poco” Maria shook her head

“Maybe we should be discussing you” she jumped at the chance to change the subject “How have you been feeling?”

Maria gave a Latin shrug of her shoulders “As well as could be expected, I have good days and bad days. Luckily today is a good day”

Paloma’s eyes misted over, damn hormones. Or at least that’s what the book she had brought about pregnancy said. You will cry for reason other than you dropped a spoon.

She was not looking forward to that stage at all.

“Dry your tears, I am happy and healthy today and that’s all we can wish for” Maria patted her daughters hand.

“What about the surgery?” Paloma pulled her legs up under her in the chair

‘It’s too expensive” Maria waved her hand ‘There will be another way”

“I have, or will have the money mama” Paloma bit her lip as she watched her mother’s face and the emotions that flitted across her face. Shock, doubt, anxiety all showed on in her eyes.

“Did you rob someone?” Maria laughed trying to dispel the tension in the room