A New Era

SELENA'S POV

The past two months have been interesting but I can't help that the release date to my two new singles is in two days. I've been promoting with some snippets here and there on Instagram but the music video will really give an insight to my truth.

"Two days Selena, how freaking crazy is that?!" Squealed Raquel as she sat across from me at the brunch table. We were out with some friends celebrating Raquel's new book signing. I playfully rolled my eyes because I didn't want to talk about this in this given moment.

"I am, BUT what I'm even more excited about is for you." She smiled big as she gave my forearm a little squeeze and continued small talk amongst the table. I decided today I was going to shield myself of my thoughts of Justin so I can be 100% supportive of Raquel. I didn't want to make this day about me given that she's been there for me all these years for the same drama. I pushed all of my feelings aside and held a bright smile through this afternoon.

It wasn't as bad as I thought pretending everything is okay. It wouldn't be the first time I did and certainly not the last. Being sad can be replaced by just one good girls day and I'm glad I had that. As soon as I walked through the doors of my home, I slipped off my heels as I sat in my island in the kitchen. Teresa had gone off upstairs to get ready for tomorrow since I was filming Only Murders In The Building but I stood here scrolling through Instagram.

I don't know what possessed me to type in his name but I did and I found myself on his Instagram. I came across a picture of him and Hailey and clicked on it. I saw how he looked at her in it and I thought he only looked at me in that way. My heart sunk as I came to the realization I'm not his anymore and would never be again. Anger began boiling in my blood, the room suddenly feeling hotter than before and I exited the app, slamming my phone on the counter.

It seemed so easy for him to move on and I hated it. A stupid fucking cycle between us and he broke out of it. I'm angry at how he can just forget everything of us and quickly proposed to her. What did she have that I didn't? I devoted a lot of myself to him when we were together and we wouldn't be coming back to each other every single time if there wasn't something to give. If it was so easy to replace me then fuck it, I couldn't wait for my new singles to release because I know one way or another he's going to listen to them. I hope just maybe, he'll see the pain he caused me for the last time.

Call me petty, I don't care. I needed this for myself to move forward. I refuse to let that one picture set me back. Regardless of how I feel about him, I was doing better and I'm going to continue. Here's to a new Selena era, I'm ready to show the world what happens when the person you thought was the one leaves you for somebody else. I shook my hands, followed by the rest of my body to calm down. Once I was feeling normal again, I hopped off the chair and went upstairs to get ready for bed.

Just as I slipped on my pajamas, Teresa made her way into my room.

"One day left!" She grinned, shimming her shoulders as she walked towards me. I giggled as I settled into bed.

"I looked at his Instagram," I blurted, causing her to widen her eyes.

"You what?! Sel no honey," she sighed.

"Teresa, it's okay I was reminding myself of what I'm worth and it was the kick that I needed for the singles to come out. " I explained.

"I'm only letting you have that app because of the release but after that we're deleting it again." I nodded my head in agreement. Social media in general was terrible but it did make a women motivated if she saw the right thing. "I love you, goodnight and rest up."

"Goodnight T, love you too." I snuggled myself in my blankets when I heard the door click shut and forced myself to sleep for tomorrow.

• • •

"They just contacted me the video is going up!" Jumped Teresa with excitement. I pulled out my laptop and we signed onto my YouTube account watching the countdown before the video premiered. I was shaking, not with fear, but with relief. I know I was going to feel like a weight was lifted off my shoulder and it did as soon as I saw the play button appear on the screen.

We watched it over and over, a small tear escaping my eyes as I looked at Teresa with a smile.

"I'm so proud of you Sel, the video is beautiful." It took hours in the making, and I decided it'd be best to continue the pattern I had with the heart wants what it wants and set it all to black and white. In less than 10 minutes, the video had half a million views and it just kept climbing. Just wait until the next song releases later on tonight. I was filled with adrenaline pumping through my veins. All the comments by the fans were touching and it made me feel good that with just this one song I helped thousands of people move on from a relationship.

We celebrated for a few hours before I was interrupted by my phone ringing. I grabbed it, and quickly dashed into another room to muffle out the background noise. I didn't even take the time to look at who was calling before I pressed the phone into my ear, a giggle emitting from my lips as I said hello.

"Selena," immediately my smile disappeared, my heart palpitated and my palms grew sweaty. Just a second ago, I was fine but the moment I hear his voice everything gets lost around me. But I'm not going to let him get to me, it's over.

"What do you want Justin?"

"I replaced us in two months, really?" I can hear how he was trying to diminish my feelings.

"Yes you did. Why are you even calling me? It's been months Justin." I huffed.

"You know that's not how things went down," he said sternly.

"Aw, does Justin sound hurt?" I said sarcastically. "I'm done Justin, this is how it happened with me and how you made it feel. If you don't agree that is not my problem but don't try to tell me that's not how it happened when you were on the other side." I snapped.

"My intentions were not to hurt you, we tried Selena. You think shit was easy?"

"Seemed like it," I said looking at my nails hearing him groan on the other side. I don't know where my attitude was coming from but I knew it had to be done. I had to set myself free.

"You're impossible, you know that?"

"And you're unbelievable. Don't call me again and I hope you enjoy the next single that comes out. I'm sure you'll have lots to say about that one. Bye Justin, enjoy your new life." I said and clicked the end button. I let out a breath I did know I was holding and slid my phone in my back pocket. I went back to Teresa and everyone else who came to support the new video. Raquel looked up at me, excitement flashing through eyes.

"Selena where did you go?"

"Just had to take care of a phone call," I simply said, shrugging as I sat on one of the chairs from the island, picking up a slice of pizza.

"What was it?" She asked curiously.

"Nothing important." I said, and took a bite. The hardest part was over and I'm glad I'll never have to hear his voice again.

Sometimes you have to go through a period of mistakes before you reach the place you've been wishing for. This new year, I wish for nothing but moments of bliss and serenity and I'm going to make sure it happens.

AN: When lose you to love me first came out I was in awe. I felt like Selena said just enough to show us what she had gone through. But I couldn't help myself and think did Justin see it? And if he did what did he think of it? Did he agree or just sat back hurt that his ex put him on blast. Some part of me wished he called and maybe he did, who knows but I hope you all enjoyed this chapter. I probably won't update for a few days due to my work schedule but I'll try to have the next update by the end of this week.
-
Much love <3