Risk

JUSTIN'S POV

"Are you serious?" Asked Fredo, giving me a incredulous expression. I thought I had prepared myself to what he might have to say but just hearing the words leave his mouth I couldn't help but be angry with myself. Because it was a smart idea to whisk my ex-girlfriend to a secret hide out, only to watch her walk out on me... again.

I was against mentioning anything but the past two days have been driving me to a brink not even the heavens could save me from. Instead, I called Alfredo over to hang out only to let it all out in the open. The first look he gave me made me cringe at my poor choices but by the third one I don't know if I wanted to punch him or myself. A little column A, a little column B. I was pacing back and forth in the backyard, watching a speechless Fredo trying to understand everything.

"I'm very serious."

"When you said you were going to see it through with Selena, I didn't think you'd be doing it behind Hailey's back. I mean come on, you guys attempting to sneak around? This is LA for crying out loud, you could easily get caught." He explained. "Also, you didn't think to take a break from Hailey first before you decided to do this? It would've looked less shady that way."

"It was far away from here," I say defensively.

"Dude get your head out of your ass for one second and think," He said, his tone turning more serious than before. "You should take some time away from your marriage,"

"She'll know something is up," I added.

"Something IS up Justin. You've made some dumb choices but this has to be at the top of the fucking list bro," I scowled in his direction. Even though I know everything Fredo is saying right now is the truth, I can't put it past me not to be against it. "Listen, I'm on your side trust me. I just think the best way for no one to get hurt is if you just tell her you need some space, figure your shit out with Selena and then make your decision then." Sighing in defeat, the angel on my shoulder clearly winning, I slumped onto the chair across from him.

"I hate this," I murmured.

"You'll be doing the right thing at the end of the day." He said, an encouraging smile plastered on his face. I nodded my head as I stared straight ahead.

• • •

Like any other time I waited until Hailey was free to talk. I finally mustered the courage to FaceTime for the first time in four days. We never go more than a few hours max. My finger hovered over her contact list, uncertain of what exactly I was going to tell her but knew it had to be done. Telling myself fuck it, I pressed the FaceTime call, Hailey answering after two rings.

"Baby! Finally, I missed your face so much." She whined.

"I know I'm sorry, I've been busy." I coughed clearing my throat. She looked at me puzzled, sensing I was tense. She always knew immediately when something was off which is why pretending that nothing was wrong was so hard for me.

"Justin, what's wrong?"

"I need to talk to you," I say shakily.

"Okay? What's going on?" She replied, warily.

"I need some time." I said all too monotone. You can feel everything leave my voice. My hands felt clammy, my heart accelerating the more the seconds passed. I swear if it wasn't for us being over the phone, I might be a little more scared of what was under her Sagittarius anger.

"Time for what?" Her eyes got big, her lip twitching as she waited for me to respond.

"I need some space, from us. It's not anything with you, I just realized I'm going through a period in time where I haven't been the best with you and I need to figure myself out then to continue to treat you less than what you are" I said quickly.