That Was Too Close

JUSTIN'S POV

6 hours at a dinner table was all it took to bring back memories we all tried to forget. The laughter amongst us echoed the empty restaurant, silverware clinging whenever one of us slapped the table or bumped the bottom. Seeing her smile never leave her face left me satisfied because for that moment it was like nothing ever changed. Like I didn't spend the past two years without her.

It's exhausting losing the person you love for something you think you should have. Your heart consistently tears into two, each time being harder than the last trying to piece it together. Your lungs feel heavy as you attempt to breath through a break down and your throat causes you pain, one that has you feeling as though no amount of water will ease it. Having her here changes that. It makes everything I went through worth it and now it's only time to see how it plays out.

I actually went to bed last night with a smile on my face as I texted her goodnight and this morning when I saw her name on my phone screen. Today is all about having fun like old times. To remind her that this is where we belong, completely immersed into each other. Every time I think about it, I don't regret proposing to her that very day. The second she came back to my life I thought about it again, but shortly realized there's things that need mending and transformative measures to be taken. She's still fragile, can easily slip away from me at any given moment but I refuse to go without a fight this time. It's stupid saying that I know. It was so easy for me to let go then, she'll probably still wonder what makes a difference now.

The difference is I never stopped loving her. We're toxic in our own ways, but I wouldn't want to live a life without her in it. If I have to show her how sorry I am for what I did, I'll do it a hundred times until she's tired of me. I'm not letting her go, not this time.

The day had already been pre-planned. Breakfast, water excursions and a game night. She sits scrolling on her cell phone across the table. Her hair is flipped to the side, as her angelic face focuses on whatever she's watching. I smile at myself as I imagine watching her beautiful long lashes look up at me as I cup her face in my hands, admiring her every feature. She interrupts my thoughts when she puts her phone down, squinting her eyes at me as she smirks.

"What are you thinking about?" She asks, her morning voice still raspy. I don't realize how much I'm smiling until I feel my cheeks burn from the stretch and I look down shaking my head.

"Nothing,"

"Oh that was definitely something Justin."

"What can I say? I can't stop looking at you. You just get more beautiful each and every day." Her cheeks turn pink as she giggles. I love it when she gets shy and hides her face between her hair, just like how she's doing now. She doesn't reply and I don't mind it as she turns her head to look out into the ocean that surrounds us.

"Where's Fredo?" She asks after a while.

"He wanted to get some shots of the sunrise, left pretty early this morning but he's going to meet us by the boat." She nods her head, letting the silence fall on us again. If this is what my life would be like if I kept her through these two years, I'd be the luckiest man on earth. Nothing ever feels forced, just organic and comfortable.

Once breakfast ends, we head out towards the boat for our first excursion of the day. As soon as we start boarding, I spot Alfredo making his way over to us. He gives me a clap on the hand, while he playfully shoves Selena to the side.

"It's too early for you to be an asshole," she says with a smile on her face.

"Just wait until we're in the water, none of you are safe." He warns jokingly.