Cabo Day 6

(Jacob's Point of View)

It was about 7:00 when I got out of bed. It had been a long night, Niall had gotten sick throughout the night. Anyhow I got out of bed to go check on him and Suri was cuddled next to him. I took his game ready and brace off and then carefully took the dressing off and prodded his swollen knee and checked the drain. Everything seemed alright, I was hopeful that he would sleep for another 3-5 hours and then hopefully he would be more awake and alert today. After I checked his knee I sponge bathed it and then re dressed it. I then headed out to the balcony to make a call to Dr. Hunt in London. 

(Sufi's Point of View)

I woke up about 7:30 as Jacob was changing Niall's knee dressing and I asked him how it was looking and he said it looked normal. I then told him I was going to go running at the beach with Cody, Austin and Chris. He told me he would be here when I got back. 

(Dr. Hunt's Point of View)

I was not expecting a call from Jacob, Niall Horan's doctor but I picked up anyway. He gave me a run down on what was happening to Niall's knee. He told me about how his leg was bleeding and he had given him a heavy dose of antibiotics in the case of an infection, and he was doing well. He then told me that he wanted Niall to see me when he got back because he thinks there maybe an underlying problem. I agreed that when Niall returns home we need to run some tests and maybe scope his knee to make sure that everything is working and healing the way it is supposed too. I then tell Jacob my concerns about how he has so much ligament and cartilage damage that had to be repaired that choosing how to proceed with PT and walking is going to be hard, because currently pins, plates and screws hold his knee together. I also explain how I am worried that if we rush PT due to the timing with the tour he could un do all of the good we have tried to fix and if he is to fall and displace any of the hardware he could severely damage his knee. 

(Jacob's Point of View)

After talking with Dr. Hunt I decided that I need to have a serious conversation with management and Suri, because I know this entire tour rides on the fact that Niall participates, however he can't afford to put his health at risk. I decided to call Paul, Preston and Suri. They all agree to come up to the room in about 30 minutes.

(Sufi's Point of View)

I was curious why Jacob wanted to talk to everyone but I figured I would comply so I headed towards the suite, but first I picked up a smoothie and then headed up. When I arrived Paul, Preston, John, Mark, Josh and Basil were on the balcony and then Jacob asked if everyone could have a seat and we all did. Jacob began by telling us he talked to Dr. Hunt this morning and they decided that Niall is going to have his knee scoped when we get back to London just to make sure he is healing properly. He also told us that he and Dr. Hunt and trying to figure out a plan on how and when to proceed with PT, because obviously he needs to be as ready as possible for tour however his ligaments need to be sturdy in order for him to complete PT, because right not his knee is being stabilized by the screws, pins and plates in his knee. 

(Preston's Point of View)

I had never realized how bad his knee really was, but since Jacob is the doctor her we as the management all and Simon all agree that he and John need to lead the transition to PT and we all realize that we can't rush it, only time will tell how well he heals. 

(John's Point of View)

I explain to everyone that Niall can't start PT until the swelling in his knee goes down considerably, and his X Rays and MRI's need to show healing of the bone and ligaments. I then explain once he begins PT he is going to need everyone's support because it's going to be rough and he is going to want to walk right away and get back to normal but it is going to be a lengthy process to get him to the point where he will be able to walk for any length of time and his bone will not be healed for another year and a half. I also explain that once rehearsals start Niall is going to have to do a lot of watching a less doing at the beginning because walking is still going to be hard and painful  and the more he rests his leg ahead of tour the better. He also MUST wear his custom fit brace all of the time because it is specifically designed to help support the ligaments and keep the hardware in place. I then decided to discuss weather because since the tour is outside everyone on his team needs to be aware of his knee. I explain that weather is going to impact the hardware and swelling of his knee. I explain cold weather is going to cause him to hurt, ache and swell which means his knee will need to be closely monitored. I also explain that the rain is going to be dangerous and it will likely rain at some of the venues. I explain that they need to get a non slip stage because if he falls even with the brace on  there is a chance that he can displace his hardware which will further injure his knee. Jacob then says "he will more than likely still have a draining tube in his leg through the duration of the tour which will need to stay dry and that it is also very possible that he may have his line in to control his pain." I then explain that especially in the beginning of the tour towards the end of each show he is going to be in quite a bit of discomfort and pain due to the hardware and it is going to take some getting use too and time for him to adjust to the discomfort.