7. First Blossom

Wooyoung's excitement was a tad too zealous to be excused as feeble hope against the sea of black grief. He was giddy to have something to focus on, and he wanted to pour his heart into it.

Though Yeosang warned him it was wisest to keep his heart anchored in reality, the dryad also had to smile about Wooyoung's energy. Until they faced the truth in the Crystal Sphere, Wooyoung would relish this flutter in his chest that fuelled his body with fresh stamina. In his mind, whatever they found couldn't be as bad as that day of torment and losing everything they ever had.

After their meeting with Hlin, Wooyoung and Yeosang walked to the cliffs together and pondered the next step. They needed to pack provisions and blankets, needed to ask Seungyoun to watch over their belongings until their return to the Crystal Sphere and they needed to protect Morana against natural dangers and the potential orcs and goblins roaming the Crystal Sphere.

According to Hlin, the demons had no interest in the destroyed lands of the elves. After losing their king, they struggled to unite under a new ruler and the Cavern of Nightfall had enough internal issues to expand.

Their journey should be relatively safe, as long as no word got out that they travelled with Seonghwa's child.

But where would they begin?

"Hlin made a good point about asking the others for help. We aren't the only husbands left," Yeosang shared the same thought as they wandered through the night. Wooyoung hopped with a skip in his step and Yeosang blossomed thoughtful violets.

"If we want ultimate protection, wouldn't Hongjoong be our pick? I imagine Aodhán relates to Morana's confusion, even if he might be less aggressive about it," Wooyoung suggested. The reminder of the sorcerer made him even giddier. He visited the trio a couple times during that decade, ever so stubborn and responsible for his people. Wooyoung missed bickering with him. Yunho was also at the spire, watching over his son learning magic. If they joined, their group would be a force to reckon with.

But Yeosang shook his head.

"We have no means of contacting him, and Aodhán doesn't need to stir needlessly if he has been placid until now. Let's not distract them by ripping old wounds open until Hongjoong permits us. From what we hear, the Spire is doing well and Hongjoong is steady. This is for Morana."

Though Wooyoung hung his head since he looked forward to meeting their eccentric mage, his heart jumped right on to the next. If not Hongjoong and Yunho, only one person was left who hadn't gone missing.

Shyness ruffled through Wooyoung's feathers. He hoped Yeosang wouldn't see his blush in the night.

"Then.."

"He was Seonghwa's most powerful warrior. Let's ask him. If we have him with us, I'll be confident in this endeavour."

Wooyoung nodded meekly.

San hadn't taken Seonghwa's loss lightly, either. He blamed himself for losing their emperor and not doing more to protect him. It took the remaining four of them to pile on top of him and hold him down so they could bandage his wounds and get him to calm down right after the incident.

San left for the Vault of Heaven, his home, to gather his mind and mourn in peace. Even in the weeks he spent with them before they split, he looked haggard and denied himself food and sleep as punishment for losing Seonghwa. Even when he had done everything he could, wounded as he was.

He got better since then. Last time Hongjoong visited them, he mentioned San was alive and doing as fine as he could in his situation. Living on in regret where Wooyoung at least found a purpose in tending to Morana.