25. The Ruby Glacier

The gloom of the destroyed lands stayed behind once the group left the Crystal Sphere. For a while, they travelled through the empty plains of the Sky-Reaching Highlands, but Morana found nothing interesting about the far grassy hills. Soon, they neared the Dwarven North. Yeosang taught her along how the mountains were split into multiple dominions by various dwarven kings. They were accepting of each other, brothers in blood, but mongered many wars for gold and jewels. Whenever someone developed a new weapon, everyone else hastened to steal the plans and catch up. It was a constant battle against each other, but their competition brought them expansion. Their quarries were always filled with new treasures. Their forges never cold. The highest bidder obtained their secrets. 

As people, they were grumpy folk. Not fond of strangers, married to their work. They never had an interest in joining the empire since they thought it wiser to be neutral in case someone else offered them more money for their loyalty.

Morana's uncles didn't seem too enamoured by the dwarves, especially Hongjoong. The prideful sorcerer hated being diminished to a useless bystander without the magic in his blood.

Aodhán soaked up all that new knowledge like a sponge. The two kids were huddled under their cloaks, walking part of the path to heat their bodies against the stiff winds. The ground had steepened already, and Hongjoong knew the rough direction to go. While the mage grumbled to himself, the others kept an eye out for movement among the jagged rocks.

There were mountain goats here, and peculiar-looking birds. Morana saw many-legged lizards and even a white rabbit staring at them from the distance. The vegetation was sparse and only the most stubborn shrubs and flowers clung to the rough rock, but despite all the grey, it was livelier than the ruins of the Crystal Sphere. Quiet. 

Morana liked the area. It reminded Wooyoung of home, too. 

For a while, they got to wander narrow trails among the rocks, only occasionally crossed with bridges and bigger streets for trade since the dwarves moved all their business and livelihood beneath the earth. However, the snow couldn't be avoided fully. It crawled down from the tips of the mountains like mould and soon covered the streets from view. Their procession slowed as they carefully felt up their way across slippery rocks. Onyx sailed overhead and Buddy's snout was dusted with fur, looking adorable.

Wooyoung wrapped his favourite green scarf around Morana. Her brother shivered worse, but he and Yunho brought warm furs along and swathed themselves in them. Since Hongjoong's magic was reduced, he couldn't warm them, but as long as they kept climbing, they would be fine.

Their breaks were brief. Hasty meals and quick ideas about where to go next. Onyx hadn't found anything yet, and they didn't want to risk the lure of the cold if they lingered for too long. 

Wooyoung whined all the way, keeping the rest lively. San was so quiet, Morana wondered if he disliked speaking. Yeosang decorated himself with the local flowers.

Thanks to Hongjoong's steady guidance and Wooyoung's communication with Onyx and Mulberry, they soon reached their destination. No dwarf had shown themselves. Either they watched from below, disinterested in their peculiar visitors until they made trouble, or their greedy eyes were too occupied with treasure to mind them. Morana hoped no one would recognise them. She complied with Yeosang's wishes to huddle under her hood, stubbornly resisting against the frost, trying to chill her to the bone.

Morana didn't hate the cold, but she also wasn't its friend. The icy winds rushing under her clothing to reap her warmth cut with more ferocity than the ocean breeze of the Cliffs of Zephyr. When Aodhán's cry cut through the still air, she shook himself from her chill, hoping for some fire and warmth soon.