14. Sneaking into the Spire

As the island cliffs drew nearer, Morana found they weren't as windy as the home of the gryphons. The water washed over the towering rock peacefully, cradling an island of lush summer when the mainland just barely unfolded into spring. The trees were heavy with fruit and some herbs and flowers which would only be found near the sea climbed across the rock to offer some test of courage for young magic novices.

Morana was intimidated by the looming tower. She could feel the magic that surrounded it, if lightly. It thrummed with an intensity that caused a constant whirr in the back of her skull, unpleasant yet not severe enough to cause a headache.

Wynn led them around the rocks in search of something. When she dived into the water along with her horse, San aligned his mount with Lillwen's. He silently watched over Morana.

Wooyoung was on their other side, gaping up at the spire with an open mouth.

"It looks much bigger from up close," Yeosang muttered, similarly awed.

"That trickster rules all of that?" Wooyoung huffed when he found his words and Yeosang was so kind to explain to him and Morana.

"It's a school. Less so than ruling over a kingdom, Hongjoong oversees their studies and research in all matters of magic. There is no mage in this empire who didn't learn at the spire or at least knows of it. Our books come from here as well."

Right, Hongjoong was special like that. His aura exuded prestige. Less so how nobles adorned themselves with needless glamour, but how one looked who was an expert in his field and the wisest of all.

Wynn resurfaced, and the water caressed down her bright hair and figure. When she neared their group, Lillwen addressed her quietly so no curious wanderers would hear them.

"Can we enter?"

"The cave is right below us. I need to ask you others to hold your breath briefly. It isn't for so long that Morana might get hurt," she instructed. Yeosang looked nervous about this, but Morana finally got her time to shine.

"No problem," she announced, sitting up straighter in Lillwen's arm. She met Wooyoung's narrow eyes with stony resilience.

"I can hold my breath."

"You are safe with me," Lillwen purred at her ear, endeared with Morana's stubbornness how a gryphon was endeared with a lizard before gobbling it down.

Smug about her attention, Morana nodded.

"I'm by your side," San also assured her and while Morana didn't need him, Wooyoung and Yeosang looked relieved about his protection. Neither of them did well in this element either, but at least their concern for Morana kept them distracted.

One by one, the horses dipped under the surface. Morana gasped in a breath and pinched her eyes shut before they went down, scared of glimpsing the fathomless depths. Yet, their darkness was soothing. The water was cool and Lillwen's arms steady, assuring Morana she would be safe.

Lulled by the ocean's song like a distant wail, Morana sunk into its embrace. She floated weightlessly and then, only a few moments later, the horses resurfaced.

Morana heard Wooyoung splutter and wiped at her eyes before she opened them. A cave surrounded them, not unlike the one she had grown up in. Its walls were dark without any source of light, but Morana could see a winding path leading away from the underground pool. Giddy, she climbed up onto the ledge when Wynn held out her hand for her.

How exciting! Would they sneak inside and steal Hongjoong away for their mission?

Giddy, Morana watched how San dragged his heavy wings from the water, soaked with liquid, whereas Wooyoung's feathers repelled it. He shook them out away from the others while Wooyoung sat on the ground like a wet dog, looking miserable. Mulberry and Onyx couldn't follow them until the spire granted them entry, so he was extra pitiful.