15. Warmth of Home

"Who is the best dog in the world?"

An unsure whine. Buddy pawed at his snout, trying to move Yunho's hands that covered the dog's eyes with his fluffy golden ears. Anxious, his friend wavered in his arms, always in for a surprise.

"You are!" Yunho cheered, releasing him to cuddle his neck instead. Immediately, Buddy lit up with a bark and his tail splashed through the water of the tub. He licked over Yunho's neck as if to praise him back as his best human, and Yunho snickered at his adoration.

"We are almost done, I promise," he purred, but Buddy knew Yunho always took good care of him. They spent so many years together and the dog never halted to wonder why he and his human stopped aging. Every day by Yunho's side was a joy to him and Yunho couldn't be happier to have such a loyal friend.

The only pride that exceeded this friendship was fathering his son.

Humming, Yunho crouched next to the tub and rinsed off Buddy's fur. Hongjoong didn't like the dog to carry crumbs of earth inside the spire and since Buddy caused chaos all the time by running into meetings and slurping up the spilt potions of the novices, Yunho didn't test his patience. Although Hongjoong warned other mages multiple times to leave the dog alone, since that was how he was.

"Here we go." Yunho hugged Buddy's sides to tug the soaked dog from the tub and winced when he heard a portal opening behind him at that very moment. Graceless and butt-naked, Yunho placed his dog down, getting drenched once more by Buddy shaking out his fur before Yunho could throw a towel over him. Meek, he turned, covering the dangling bits Hongjoong's ruthless eyes were stuck on.

At least, no one else had a reason to visit him out of the blue and was impolite enough to just appear.

Hongjoong slowly dragged his eyes up Yunho's lean shape. His hair was still wet and hung into his eyes. Buddy skipped over to greet the mage with a friendly lick over his fingers and Hongjoong was long beyond making a face.

"Get dressed," he told Yunho flippantly, and Yunho tugged back his wet dog before he would enter the bedroom. He patted him dry while Hongjoong ogled him as he pleased. Yunho's huff and the redness of his ears didn't matter to him.

"Can't you let us bathe in peace?"

"We are in a hurry and I would rather have you dressed. If you refuse, I will bring you along naked and you can figure that out."

Stressed, Yunho reached for his pants. He climbed inside and threw his shirt over his back, barely ruffling his towel through his dark hair to keep it from dripping all over him.

"Since when do your emergency meetings concern me?" Yunho stuttered when Hongjoong marched over to grab for Yunho's smallest finger, wrapping his hand entirely around it. A snap of his fingers had Buddy floating over to him, looking baffled at the sudden loss of the ground below his paws. He understood some things didn't make sense in this place. Or some people.

"These visitors are also for you." With that, he grabbed onto Buddy's nape, dragging the pair along through his portal. Yunho hated doing that. He always nearly threw up, but this time, he was too distracted to complain he would rather walk and not torment his dog.

The small sitting room was filled with people Yunho cherished. Just like Buddy, he was too speechless to decide whom to greet first.

Yeosang, Wooyoung and San had all assembled. Lillwen and Wynn, their friends from the Nymphal Shores, were here. And the young girl, shining subtly in their midst with a black raven seated on her shoulder.

Yunho's euphoria hit him all at once and he rushed in to greet them. Buddy did the same, and they earned bright smiles and tight hugs from Wooyoung, a gentle squeeze from Yeosang, and a brotherly pat on the back from San. Yunho nodded to the nymphs, not getting too close since the subtle smiles on their lips whenever they saw him meant no good. While Wooyoung chirped to Buddy and coddled him until his tail wagged into the table wildly, Yunho huddled before the girl, gifting her a big smile.