23. Salvation Comes

Thistle didn't leave the group in the night. She didn't attempt to steal anything and didn't hurt anyone. In the morning, while everyone gathered their bundles, Hongjoong had to admit begrudgingly that she posed no risk. With a proud grin at her new friend, Morana took her into the middle between herself and Aodhán for some chatting.

Thistle was glad to meet people similar to her. And she was glad to be fed and have the children to understand her. After a few hours of tension, the adults also relaxed and left them their peace.

They reached the elven town before noon. Thistle knew the area and this place, but she didn't come from there. When she muttered how the winged soldiers had guarded this place against all attacks, San grimly nodded to himself. It was a minor success compared to the kingdom lost, but they tried to preserve the homes of the elves.

Swaddled in their hoods, the group entered the sole patch of healthy forest in the area. Young trees sprouted from the earth under the guiding touch of the elves. They shrouded the buildings ducked in between, creating a magical tranquillity. Seraphim soldiers marched around the perimeter, looking stern, but the air was clear here. Morana heard a distant singing that came from no throat.

Tucked between Buddy and Mulberry, Thistle blended with her surroundings when they entered after a brief exchange with some guards. They had been informed of their coming and subtly guided them among the trees to shelter them.

The elven buildings suffered some destruction, but they weren't in ruins like the rest of the land. Graceful fingers attached to long-eared folk built their life anew and patched up the walls of marble and crystal. Colourful windows reflected the sparse light of the sun that seemed to refuse to brighten the gloom of the destroyed landscape. Some inhabitants bore deep scars and were missing limbs and Morana barely saw any young people among the elders, but their smiles were hopeful.

The procession of dark figures in their midst soon roused their attention. Some were restless and sent them wary glances, others knew the soldiers wouldn't allow any risks in.

Morana thought her fellowship so well-hidden, but she was wrong. Perhaps it was the gryphon in their midst, or it was the combination of a gryphon, a dog and a dryad impossible to hide under a cloak entirely. Either way, they soon found themselves swarmed by every elf who lived in this hideout. Their eyes begged for answers to their longing. Such beautiful people who succumbed to their sorrow.

"Your Majesties," they gasped when Hongjoong gave up the charade first and lowered his hood. He nodded them to stay quiet even as the narrow space among the houses bustled with curious people. Soon, their whispers passed all around in their singing voices. Morana wanted to roll in them, wanted to stretch their way like a flower. How delicate and pretty they all were, even with the scars of the war.

"Heavenly King San is here as well," someone muttered and an awed whisper went through the crowd when they regarded his steadfast frame, guarding their surroundings in case anyone tattled on them.

Morana and Aodhán might have drowned in the crowd if Wooyoung hadn't picked them up to put them on Mulberry's back. When the princess peered around with worry, she found Thistle seated on Buddy, holding onto the golden fur safely while ducked under her hood.

"And Yunho!" Someone else cheered as if this was their salvation after years of suffering. As if they could do anything they hadn't done.

Even magic like Hongjoong's didn't bring back the shine of the moon.

"Please stay calm, everyone," Yunho grinned at their gleaming faces. "There is enough for everyone, but we don't want to draw unnecessary attention."

They shrank, quickly aware of the nearby danger.