44. Piece by Piece

No one even thought about sleeping anymore. They gathered on the bed and around it, drawn like moths to the flame that Seonghwa was. He kept petting his two children, so proud and doting towards them, and Morana closed her eyes to relish his touch, never getting enough of it.

Hongjoong mixed some potion for recovery into some tea and left it to cool by Seonghwa's side. The elf looked serene in their midst, not frenzied about his state of undress or everyone staring at him. He was so elegant with their attention, so grateful.

"We split apart after the war and the allies retreated to lick their wounds. While the orcs plundered the Crystal Sphere, the other rulers defended their own terrain. I took care of Aodhán and Yunho in the spire," Hongjoong began, answering Seonghwa's question to catch him up with the political landscape.

"The elves?" He whispered, but the others shook their heads.

"Gone into hiding or taken away. Nothing is resolved with the orcs."

Though Seonghwa lowered his eyes, the others were quick to assure him.

"Hongjoong took good care of us and we recovered well," Yunho threw in, beckoning to Aodhán so the boy would nod at Seonghwa with his big, dear eyes and blond locks that would convince anyone.

"I learned a lot of magic! Look!" Aodhán made a flower petal with his sparks and blew it in Seonghwa's direction. Awed, the elf watched it drift past before he cheered for Aodhán.

"You got so good at it, my darling! Marvellous. Thank you for taking care of each other, you three." Then, with a glance at Buddy, he corrected himself. "Four."

"Sunny was also there," Aodhán beamed with a toothy grin. Fond, Seonghwa caressed his hair and ears. Aodhán looked more like Seonghwa than like Yunho, less mixed than Morana. But in a way, Morana liked having a large part of Mingi in her blood as well.

"San returned to the vault and became their king," Hongjoong continued, and Seonghwa's soft gasp turned into a proud smile. His eyes shone for the shy angel who barely dared look at him and was transfixed at the same time.

"My king," Seonghwa cooed and the blush on Seonghwa's cheeks was golden like Aodhán's. Something in Morana knew she was witnessing an incredibly rare sight.

"I only stand in until Rowan is old enough to take the crown," San brushed it off, but Seonghwa's smile persisted.

"You did well. I know you are good for your people."

San looked as if the shadows of a decade lifted off him. He rolled his shoulders and exhaled, tormented by doubts for so long. When at ease, he glowed more.

"Mingi fled that night. He needed to be alone, and we only found him recently. We didn't get a chance to study yet what caused his change in appearance, but he wasn't attacked," Hongjoong continued with a beckon at their demon. Mingi timidly came forward upon Seonghwa's call, blindly following him while the others made space.

Finally getting a good look at him, Seonghwa looked just as astonished by Mingi's changes. He caressed over the nervously swishing tail and curled his fingers into coarse fur. So small and bright compared to the looming demon.

Morana found her parents pretty. They matched each other like the night sky and the moon it cradled.

"I'm sorry if I look even scarier now," Mingi mumbled. "I didn't think this would happen either."

Somehow, Mingi didn't know a lot about being a demon. Because he was blind? Did no one teach him? Perhaps his parents were also gone for a long while, like Morana's were. They could catch up together.