13. Across the Water

The flight was sickening, even on Mulberry's steady back. Morana held onto his grey feathers for dear life, close to passing out as she flattened her body against his back until she wouldn't feel the up and down of the wind on her anymore. Her hair was a mess and her tummy spun in circles, but she endured the urge to throw up her breakfast. After all, she wanted to look strong in front of the beautiful nymph queen.

After a nauseating spin towards the depths that seemed never-ending, the noise of the ocean finally reached Morana's ears. The relief of a lifetime had her sit up, and she peered through the steady cage of Wooyoung's arms towards the peaceful sea below. They weren't at the cliffs anymore. The mainland belonging to the Vault of Heaven evened out to sandy beaches that allowed easy access to the lap of azure waves. As if the ocean was calm so long as no obstacles cut it off, it was most mellow here.

San swung his pegasus straight down, not afraid of the biting winds. The sun made his hair shine like a speck of gold. He scoured the area to make sure it was clear of any straggling highwaymen, then he beckoned the rest of the group to follow. Excited, Morana sat up to watch the breathtaking descent of the elegant flying horses.

"Back among the living?" Wooyoung chuckled behind her and Morana sagged into his chest with her full light, purposefully knocking into him. He was always smug when she was so battered down. As if he would be any better on the water.

"Are we almost there?"

"Not quite. We made it to the surface, but now we have to travel across the water to the islands." Wooyoung's eyes were stuck on San when he swung off his mount in a graceful leap and scoured the area. His sword glinted by his side and he wore a light metal armour over his white clothing. On the bright sand, his cape almost turned him invisible.

He was a sight to behold, Morana agreed. The most shining of her uncles. Too bright for her poor eyes.

Lillwen's feet also connected to the sand, and she made right for the cool embrace of her element. With a caw, Mulberry shooed the pegasi off so he could land. They found a meal in the grasses and shrubs nearby, replenishing their strength for the way home.

As soon as Wooyoung lifted Morana from Mulberry, she sunk into a heap by Yeosang's side on the beach. Her hands massaged her weak legs while the dryad dug some sea shells from the sand to show her. Pebble preferred to stay in Mulberry's saddle bag and it was for the best, so she wouldn't get lost on the beach.

Lillwen's feet stepped into the water, and her garments floated around her. While she muttered under her breath, Wooyoung unpacked some rations and supplied Morana, as well. Wynn told the little family to relish their break.

San always loomed somewhere. Still as a pillar, blending in even when he was a king. He was almost as unnoticeable as a servant, stepping in only when danger drew near.

Maybe Morana would ride with him this time to ask about his life before getting tangled up with her athair? She could tell secrets hid behind the sorrow of his gaze.

Before Morana got to get up and ask, a massive splash sounded from the ocean. Cold spray hit Wooyoung, who had been dipping his claws into the wet sand, and he ducked away with a shriek. Lillwen stood at ease with her hands in offering to the sea. Wynn's eyes shone with the twinkle of adventure.

Clutching the shells Yeosang handed her, Morana nervously peered around their figures. The water surface bent and rippled as if something large was trying to break through. The mellow waves washed over the bulging mass and then pulled away, unveiling the bodies of several animals surfacing in the shallow area.

Curious yet tentative to get too close, Morana leaned into Yeosang's side to study them. Their bodies rippled and shifted as their colour constantly adjusted to the ocean, but their shape was grey enough to be made out against the water they blended into.