18. Fellowship

"Did you sleep well?"

Hongjoong peered up at Yeosang when the dryad fell onto the seat by his side. The Magus Maximus summoned everyone to gather in the sitting room where they wouldn't disrupt anyone's magical studies. The nymphs were also invited, having recuperated from their trip with the extensive libraries of the Spire of Magic.

"I did," Hongjoong replied, surprised the guess came so easily. "Does it show?"

"Your glow seems brighter," Yeosang smiled, smooth and gentle, like the trees he was born from. 

Hongjoong had to give San this point. Apparently, everyone could read Hongjoong's thoughts right off his face.

"How about you?"

Yeosang had been a marvel to Hongjoong from the beginning. A source of infinite knowledge about Seonghwa and the palace and key to his honest heart, but also such a rare and fascinating being. Together with Jongho, the pair originated from the most elusive races of the empire. Hidden even from the greedy eyes of the mages. Yeosang was a kind soul, but tremendous power was masked behind his serene features. He loved his tranquillity, just like the elf he was loyal to. But getting on his bad side meant no escape.

Even now, Yeosang's soothing scent of the earth and flowers washed over Hongjoong refreshing like a frigid forest river. He sighed, at ease under Yeosang's mossy green eyes. 

"I took a walk with Yunho and relished the night out on the fields. The spire is a work of many wonders. I'm sure Seonghwa would be proud if he could see how well you lead these mages."

A wistful smile dashed over Hongjoong's lips. Yes, he would be. Seonghwa always had love to give; so much affection even for those who didn't deserve it. 

Once, Hongjoong thought it a challenge to be the one Seonghwa was most dedicated to. But it was in Seonghwa's character to love many. To be considerate of his surroundings and listen to their woes.

And to die because he shouldered all their pain without acknowledging his own.

They talked about the spire and the novices of this year while the others arrived one by one. San didn't bat a lash at Hongjoong's sight, not mentioning anything since that was their pact. Wooyoung and Yunho arrived with the kids and their pets, bringing their typical noise and laughter. 

The nymphs also settled with their eerie eyes and their unnervingly fluid movements, then everyone was assembled. When Hongjoong took the word, he felt rested. No longer like a madman, but like the leader they asked him to be for this endeavour.

"So, our journey takes us to the Crystal Sphere. Assuming we can deal with the orcs, goblins and demons in our path by hiding away or battle, what shall our goal be? I have searched for Seonghwa for the past ten years, but I cannot detect him anymore. He might be with the slumbering dragon, buried under its power, but then we have no access to him. Or he is dead, as we can safely assume after watching him fall. What is our objective?"

Hongjoong saw no reason to beat around the bush with Morana, even when Yunho sent him a reprimanding look. The stubborn demon girl challenged the hazard of this empire for her personal vendetta against her athair whom Hongjoong loved and cherished. She wasn't his enemy, still Seonghwa's daughter he was sworn to, but she scowled with persistence, so Hongjoong would meet her head-on.

Even now, she wasn't perturbed by the news that shattered the souls of everyone else ten years ago. She flicked her fingers through her hair to lean over the map Hongjoong summoned onto the table in their midst.

"Can't we just have a look around there?"

Lillwen chuckled over her foolishness. San also shook his head.