16. Hate You, Emmya

Later in the evening, after the kids went to sleep in the same bed so they could hold on to each other and share their kinship in their dreams, the remainders of the harem sat down for a talk. Hongjoong was pleased by the relationship between the kids and their cores, which were always siblings to each other. Having them grow up in different homes had been a difficult decision, especially since Morana lost the rest of her blood relatives all at once. But it was safer like this. No one would search for her in the cliff caverns and Hongjoong could protect Aodhán's name.

After all, Yongguk was still out there. Forging his plans. Even after Seonghwa's fall, he didn't get to rule the empire. And he was well aware some of Seonghwa's husbands were still around and in influential positions, refusing any alliance with a new empire under him.

Buddy chewed on a bone while Yeosang explained everything to Hongjoong and Yunho. He mentioned Morana's growing restlessness over the years, and how he feared her stubbornness to turn into fury for everything around her. Yunho agreed with the pair. Hadn't they brought her on a journey, Morana would have likely snuck out by herself in the night one day and disappeared into the forest.

Hongjoong scowled at their parenting at first, but he soon gave in. If Morana needed to explore the world, she shouldn't do that by herself.

Hongjoong promised them some time at the spire to find out whether Morana would be at ease after seeing her brother and the adventures she had until now. He probed into Pebble's mind as well, but couldn't say much about her visions since the dragon suppressed all magic trying to get too near to it. Undoubtedly, Pebble came from the ruins of the palace, though. Throwing up more questions than answers.

When the sorcerer sent everyone to rest from their long journey and postponed all talks about the past, Yunho also retreated to his room to get some sleep, dreaming of the old days, Mingi's shy smiles and Seonghwa's guiding light.

Since it was a special occasion, Aodhán was relieved of his classes the next day. Wooyoung snoozed until late into the evening, and Hongjoong tended to San's concerns with rulership while he was travelling. Soon, Yunho found himself with the two kids and every pet around shoved into a room, designated their caretaker for the day.

Not that Yunho would say no to that.

Sunny, Onyx, and Buddy were here, and Morana had Pebble on her lap while Aodhán showed her the spectacular new spells he could use. His magic was manageable, not a force of nature like Hongjoong's in his unbridled power. A lot of it relied on light, but he also had the soothing hands of a healer. When he showed Morana his ability to change the temperature of his fingers, Morana cradled his cool palms to her cheeks, snuggling into the bliss with a deep sigh.

Yunho brushed Buddy's fur and made sure Sunny and Onyx weren't fighting. As much as the siblings loved each other, their pets liked to squabble.

These weren't the same Sunny and Onyx as when they were children. These were Sunny the Second and Onyx the Third, but the children never picked up on the subtle changes in their companions. They were loyal and their behaviour barely changed towards each other and the kids. One day, when they were old enough, they could make lasting friendships.

Just like Yunho and his dear Buddy.

Curled around the slumbering dog with an arm thrown over his twitching flank, Yunho watched the two half-elves. Saw in them his past and his beloved he never forgot.

None of them moved on. Nobody took new lovers. They all yearned for Seonghwa. Yunho didn't miss the luxury or his high status. He had visited his lands only a few times to check on his ageing parents. King Albrecht upheld his esteem for Yunho's knowledge and abilities, even when his diplomatic purpose dissolved with Seonghwa's end.