In Need of Healing

"Stop." Hawk called weakly to her. Lifting a staying hand. "She may prove useful yet."

Mary looked over her shoulder at him but didn't let go of the old woman. Her blue eyes still swirling as if reflecting an infinite pool.

"Besides," He added. "I need you."

He waved her over and that was the moment Mary let go.

Dropping Marta to her knees as she rushed back to Hawk.

"What can I do?" She looked at him pitifully. Terror on her face.

"Magus?" I said to the man standing a distance away by the door. He sat in the doorway, his feet resting on the ground outside, looking worriedly at Hawk.

"Yes?" He lifted his head.

I headed for him. "You're worried about him?"

"Mages can't usually heal themselves. He certainly can't."

"So how can we help him?"

"We need a healer."

Rebekah. I chewed my cheek. I couldn't spare any of them.

Not right now. I'm going to need them all to fight with me.

My eyes went back to Hawk who was clearly too weak to do much moving now. "Will you send your mate to get Rebekah."

He looked at me thoughtfully for a moment. Before turning his head to look at a spot near his knee.

I caught the faintest movement and nearly leapt from my skin. A snarl escaping between my teeth before I could catch it as I lunged back.

I caught a wisping movement like hair sliding and as fast as I was blinking a woman was materializing. She sat at his feet, her head resting along his knee and her arms wrapped around his thigh very intimately.

Where I'd thought his hand was resting on the floor of the doorframe, I now realized it was caressing a pile of her long dark hair there. Hair which reached almost to the ground, pooled inside the doorway.

"Will you go?" He said.

She was looking at me with huge, alluring eyes. "Yes."

"I didn't know you were there."

"Disappearing is one of her talents." Magus eyed her softly.

She lifted her head and exchanged a long look with him. Though she didn't smile, there was such intensity in that look, I could tell how close they were.

I sensed there was a whole conversation occurring through their silence.

She rose and eased closer to him with their gazes still locked. Bowing her head down as he lifted his chin for their lips to lock in a magnetic kiss that made me feel like I was intruding on a very intense moment. She pressed her body to the outside of his leg and caressed her hands around his neck. For a second, I thought they might mate right there in the doorway.

I found myself easing backward another staff.

Hawk, who still sat very near that doorway was looking at them worriedly.

Clearly, he thinks the same.

And he's too weak to move.

After a long, passionate, embrace she turned. Her hair slid over his shoulder, combining with his own brown hair before falling back down along her back as she walked back in the direction of the Asara Pack.

"Will she be okay to travel alone, with the Mating Moon descending?" I asked nervously.

Magus' brow lowered. "Unless she doesn't make it back to me by the time it's fully up."