A New Plan

Vanquish grunted. Then made a sound which I was fairly certain was a low chuckle. He caught the hair at my forehead in a fist and used it to push my head back against his leg. So, I was laid flat again.

"So fierce, my little mate." He murmured. Both pride and arousal brightening his eyes.

I growled in warning and swatted his hand to make his grip lighten.

He's reminding me, he's dominant. I recognized.

I know! My lip curled slightly.

I had to remind myself again of the tenuous line I walked being mated to three aggressive men.

I could lose control of them if I'm not careful.

If any one of them decided they needed to take over our group instead of letting me run it, I could be put in my place as most she-wolves were.

That would be unbearable.

I liked things as they were. On my terms.

I saw in my mind a shadow of a future where they tore at each other as they fought over the right to breed me. Forcing me to be their Pack Bitch rather than a revered mate.

I couldn't bear it.

My eyes roved Vanquish's face. Does he know that?

He was leaning over to smile down at me. Giving me a fond study. "I don't want to see you get killed, you know?"

His words broke into my thoughts.

"And slaughtering every NightHunter convert we come across is a good way to work get there."

He's not wrong.

Eventually their numbers would outdo ours.

That could get us killed. I had enough sense to know

that if that happened, it would most certainly be my fault.

"And as I said, I don't particularly care for killing wolves. The plagues did enough of that. Destroying ourselves only makes it easier for the humans and their mages to come after us.

Mages...

Like the one with Hawk. I remembered how she'd look at us and briefly wondered if she'd turn on us all. I didn't trust mages. Not after all I'd heard about them.

I sighed. "So, what do you propose?"

"We give them the same opportunity the NightHunters did."

Meaning what? I quirked a brow and rolled to my side to peer up at him.

So, he knows he has my undivided attention.

He always likes that.

"Look at that brother and sister from today." He gestured toward the door. "Unless I'm gravely mistaken, we seem to have earned his loyalty, at least. For the good and the bad we did today. Why not others?"

"You're saying to offer them all to join us?"

I immediately thought of the vulgar beasts mounting the sobbing, screaming girl while they laughed and urged each other to new levels of cruelty.

No. I'd be no part of a pack with such.

"After we slaughter what is clearly vile." He amended. Watching my expression, and clearly guessing at my thoughts. "Why not?"

That thought was less daunting. But I still had some objections.

What of those that only feigned loyalty to us to try and get close enough to kill us.