Tattered

I flattened my back against the tree and held my breath. Praying that no one would hear me. That my bits of torn clothes wouldn't guide them. And that I would still be whole by the time my mates returned from ambushing the camp.

Please.

I held one hand over my stomach. The other over my mouth to hush any sound escaping my throat. Boiling fear nearly paralyzed me. Making me feel choked as if I'd never get another breath of air through my throat.

I felt the urge to move one of my legs, to alleviate the ache boring through me from my mates loving last night but I didn't dare move.

Stay quiet. I was reminding myself over and over in a steady chant.

I'd never been so relieved when I saw the face of the dark-haired girl peek around a tree a distance from me and meet my look.

I blew a relieved breath. Recognizing her immediately as my brother's mate.

Jade was her name. I recalled. Feeling my whole body relax as I realized that the pursuit I'd heard, was that of my brother catching back up to me.

They've already fought off the enemy that had chased them.

My head dropped forward, and I nearly passed out from relaxing so quickly. Putting a hand to my forehead to steady the dizziness.

"Here." Jade offered me a bit of water from a bag she was carrying.

It was cool and refreshing and immediately soothed the aching in me.

"Where'd you get that?"

"Your Healer friend."

"Oh."

Soon Killian and Aviari appeared in my view. Taking in the sight of me, they each rushed to me. Crouching on either side of me.

Worried expressions on their faces.

"Are you okay?" Killian was the first to ask.

I let my head loll to the side to look at him. "None the worse for wear."

Killian grimaced and looked at Jade at his side. "Please never say that."

She smiled. "I told him, you wouldn't have gotten far from the camp last night."

"Why?" I asked her. A bit insulted that she thought I'd slow my mates.

"Well," She blushed. Ducking her face. "He wore me out enough I was greatly sore this morn."

I grimaced at that. Breaking eye contact with her as I avoided the horrendous thought of my brother engaging in the same acts I had, last night.

"And you have three mates." She said sympathetically. Glancing around as if just now realizing they weren't with me.

Making Killian and Aviari look too.

"And they all look rather healthy and fit." She murmured.

"Where are they?" Killian asked urgently.

"In the camp ahead."

"You have them fighting again?" Killian asked.

"They're full of energy this morning." She grumbled.

Killian flinched. Shaking his head.

Slight revenge for the horrific imagery I was just dealt.

"You don't have to take on every camp you see, Vanna Rae." He chided softly. Rubbing my arm tenderly.

"I wanted you to have an army when you became King." I explained weakly. "It was why I was trying to gather them."

"I know." He nodded. "I recall you mentioning that. But you're far too weak this morn to be trying to run about with your mates ambushing every camp you see."