Time to Return

Marta was willing to follow Lorem to the ends of Ferus.

It made me consider how far I'd go to be loyal to my mates.

What would I do for them?

How many awful things would they have to do before my image of them changed?

My instant thought was that they would never do something like what Lorem had.

It's not even a comparison.

I looked at Marta.

"My father should've banished you from the pack with Lorem." Draven murmured. "I wonder how you'd have fared then?"

"I'd have been with him." She clawed at Fury's grip but that was like trying to get a tree to release a trunk.

He's unmovable.

"What you want to do with her?" Fury asked.

"Take her with us." Draven said. "We'll give her to the NightHunters and let them toy with her awhile."

Marta looked intensely nervous despite all her bravado.

I bit my lower lip. Pitying her a bit for her fate.

***

Fury, Killian and Aviari had been talking ahead of us. Our army of wolves and mages were tromping through the woods so loudly that there was no mistaking our arrival.

But to my surprise, when we reached the next NightHunter camp and pulled out our weapons to make entry they all stood within it. Dropping blades and spears and standing there, staring at us.

"What are you doing?" Fury demanded. A bit annoyed at having been cheated from battle.

"We-we've heard what's happening. We-we want to join you."

"We don't want to die." Another man said.

"A third one was opening a door to the shack in the back of the camp. Letting three haggard women out. Their hair mangled and their eyes clearly unaccustomed to light.

"We're ready to be Gallions. We were only NightHunters because we wanted to live."

"It appears," Aviari commented. "That your name precedes us."

"You've been sending birds." Killian remarked.

Aviari grinned unabashed.

His big red bird, Lazarus, perched leisurely on his shoulder. He didn't deny the accusation.

I wondered how many more camps we'd find were prepared to surrender, rather than go into combat against us.

"What are you thinking?" Vanquish remarked next to me.

"I'm thinking you are right."

Vanquish stopped mid-step to blink dumbly at me. "My ears..."

"What?" I frowned.

"They seem to be deceiving me. Can you say that again?"

I swatted him in the arm.

Just that much motion had him casting a worried look down at my belly, as if I might over strain myself just by teasing him.

It's going to be a long several months. I realized. But a smile was already dancing around my lips. I was looking forward to every moment.

"We're going back?" Hunter skipped up to us.

Racer joined. Looking from Vanquish to me. Before slowly nodding. "We're going home..."

"Home..." I said in wonder. Stunned that I would ever think of the Asara Territory as home.

But it is.

It was where me and my mates belonged.

I could leave hunting down the NightHunters to Killian and the Gallions Pack.

My work is done.

I looked from Aviari to Killian and then over my shoulder at BailaLae who met my look and smiled.

"You've decided, Sweetheart?" She said tenderly.

"I want to go home."

"Then go." She beamed. Kissing my forehead. "We'll be around soon enough. I'll want a first peek at that pup."

"What if it's more than one?"

BailaLae flexed her fingers greedily. "Then I'll want to hold them all."

"I've missed you all so much." I twisted to throw myself into her arms. Killian and Aviari moved in to join in the hug.

I turned and faced the skinny, dark-haired girl I'd become so fond of.

"Take care of my brother, Jade." I smiled at her.

She nodded somberly.

And I knew it was time.

"Come on." Vanquish took my hand. Wrapping his fingers through mine. Hunter and Racer flanked us as we turned about to make our trek back to the Asara Territory.

I was going home...

THE ENDRead others like this on my patreon at:  https://www.patreon.com/K_K_S_

OR buy the paperback at:  https://www.kksdarkerotica.com

Read the other Asara Pack Novels:

THE PACK'S GIRL

AN UNWILLING MATE

MY LITTLE SUCCUBUS

NOWHERE TO RUN

TURNING TABLES ON THE PRINCESS

LEGEND OF FURY

***

Or the related Novels in the Mages Series:

MANAGING MAGES

THE WARLORD'S WARD