Raids

We reached the first village, and it was little more than the first had been. We tore through it in relatively short time.

Covered in blood, we were already tiring as we took over the camp.

Vanquish cleared an area for me to step up.

I gave the same speech I had before. Rallying what was left of the villagers. Adding volunteers to our numbers. I was faintly disappointed when two men refused.

One stepped forward. "If we join you, the NightHunters will kill every one of us."

"Is that really any worse than them throwing your mothers, sisters or daughters in shacks?" I gestured to one behind the camp. I'd already learned they were customary in NightHunter camps.

They're the reward for them taking the village. I put together. I was beginning to learn the system the NightHunters alpha used to motivate his wolves.

Find them cruel, reward them for being crueler, make them expand fast and aggressively.

Do what the NightHunter leaders say and get your own camp. With your very own shack.

Those shacks seemed to be a critical incentive. Those who were vicious were then given the leniency to put whatever pretty she-wolves they wished in it, to further motivate their pack to continued bloodshed.

Motivated by their lust. Especially as the Mating Moon draws near.

I planned to use that lust to destroy them.

In the back of my mind, I wondered what was happening to Marta.

She betrayed our whole pack. I knew that. But still...She'd always been relatively kind to me.

She gave me tea to sterilize me. And other she-wolves of the pack. To keep us from furthering it.

Though I now appreciated the fact that I had no pups to care for. I had enough of a sense of loyalty to realize that Marta had betrayed us all.

I remembered seeing Jaecar on the ground, unconscious from Marta's tea. So, she could go be with her lover.

And betray all of us...

I immediately talked myself out of feeling any sympathy for her. Even though I knew what would be happening to her bound to that tree.

She'll be hard mated all night. Unless someone takes pity on her and cuts her lose. But I doubted that any of the sex-crazed males would have that thought.

She'll be easy prey for all of them.

I winced. Thinking of the suffering she'd endured. I'd had three mates and thought they might kill me before their lust was expended.

Marta may have far more than three before the night is over.

I was drawn back to the tension of the current moment, when my eyes caught the man taking a hesitant step back.

"If you won't fight for your people." Vanquish murmured. "Fight for your kind."

He's trying to give him another chance.

The man whipped his head to look at Vanquish. But foolishly held his silence.

"Do you want our kind to be remembered for what the NightHunters represent?" Hunter asked him from the other direction.

"We can't risk it." A younger man stepped forward. "If we serve you, we risk everyone being slaughtered.

"Look who they've already slaughtered!" I gestured to everyone gathered. Knowing that they'd all lost someone long before we'd arrived in their camp.