A New Day Dawns

The morning was chilly and there was a knock at my door very early.

Hunter rolled to his feet from before me. Walking barefoot to pull open the door. Heedless of the fact that he was entirely naked.

I lifted my head enough to see Killian was there. I moved to rise but Vanquish's arm draped over me kept me from going anywhere.

"It's time." He murmured from the doorway. "Get dressed."

"Time to fight?"

"Not you." Aviari joined Killian near the doorway, staying just from view.

Unwilling to glimpse me in here with my mates.

Even though my nakedness was shielded by Racer lying between us and the door.

Killian glanced at him to the side of the doorway then back at me. "You're going ahead to find the next camp for us...To track the NightHunter."

"What are you going to do?" I asked warily.

"We're going to confront the beast after us." Killian said blandly.

I could feel the rise of Aviari's glee at those words.

"Aviari?" I queried.

He peered around the doorway and flinched at the sight of my naked shoulders above Racer. "Yes?"

"Are you going to help him?"

"Of course."

"I will stay with them too." BailaLae materialized. Assessing Racer's backside.

"Ooh. Those are fine mates, Vanna..." She remarked with a grin.

Racer peered limply over his shoulder at her. Too tired to care.

"We'll be out shortly." Vanquish announced grumpily from behind me. "Close the door!"

Killian glanced in his direction, though he couldn't see him behind me. Amusement danced around his lips.

"I felt just the same this morn, Brother." He murmured sympathetically.

It wasn't long before I climbed into a dress Hunter brought me. From the long, simple design, I guessed it was perhaps something belonging to Mary or one of the other mages.

I was grateful to have it. Sliding it over my head, I enjoyed the feel of the soft fabric. Smoothing it down over my legs.

Vanquish was soon ducking to enter the door of the small hut. He was wearing a dark shirt that flowed around him silkily and some dark breeches. He smoothed his hair back.

Hunter was behind him in a blue shirt and Racer appeared in a green one.

They all looked tall and fine.

"Those clothes are going to get shredded." I nodded to them.

"So will yours." Vanquish smiled slowly. Indicating it might not be our enemies that got to it.

He did seem to enjoy the shock on my face when he ripped things off me, to get to my body.

Though I was usually in as much of a hurry by then as he was.

He sobered though, when I didn't respond. "There will be a day, Rabbit, that we get you the finery you deserve."

"You do shine like a jewel in pretty things." Racer remarked.

Hunter nodded in agreement.

"Are the mages staying with them?"

"Yes, they say they'll stand their ground here." Racer answered. Gathering things from the corner of the hut. A leather flask for drinking water. And a bit of dried boar. Slinging it over his shoulder with a rope and collecting a dagger from an overturned table. Handing that to me.