08 • escape

It wasn't a big deal.

At least, that's what Chaewon kept telling herself. She sat on the right side of the bed, leaning her back against her pillow she had propped up against the headboard. The dull sheets were draped around her legs, covering her skin. She wore pyjama shorts and a black t-shirt to bed like she always did– though this time she was very aware of her skin showing.

She occasionally peeked past her phone, sneaking a glance at the redhead next to her. She was in the same position as Chaewon, only reading a book instead of scrolling through her feed. She had a focused face, occasionally writing notes as she read. Her hair fell perfectly past her face, and her skin glowed in the dim light of the lamp. Chaewon thought she resembled a goddess.

Yunjin seemed calm whilst reading, which only made Chaewon feel worse about her state of mind. She felt guilty for not knowing how to feel, or what to do.

They hadn't talked about anything regarding their night out, and the last thing the girl remembered was Yunjin leaving her for Yeonjun and ending up alone on the pavement. Thank the heavens for Kim Minjeong. Chaewon didn't know what state she would've ended up in if Winter wasn't there to calm her down.

"Hear this," Yunjin's soft voice interrupted Chaewon's deep thought.

The small girl turned to look at the redhead, watching as her brown eyes darted over the letters on the page.

"Somewhere, in the multiverse, we are there; together," She quoted, her voice like velvet.

"A branch in time where I pass you; and we both smile, and go on with our day, unaware of how much we mean to each other."

Her big brown eyes shifted to Chaewon, an inexplicable look in them that attracted the small girl like magnets.

"I don't think there would be a universe where I don't notice you." Chaewon found herself answering. She didn't have to think twice about it.

Yunjin's lips upturned. "You think so?"

Chaewon placed her phone on the bedside table and slid down the mattress, fixing her pillow. She laid on her side, facing Yunjin.

"Yeah, I think so."

Yunjin flipped the lightswitch and did the same as Chaewon. The only thing illuminating the room was the light from the hallway spilling through the crack in the door.

There was silence between them.

Chaewon wanted to close the distance between them and hold her in her arms. She felt herself needing for the warmth of Yunjin's skin, and to experience how they fit together like pieces of a puzzle.

But she couldn't. Yunjin was a few inches away from her, but she felt farther than ever before. It made Chaewon want to crawl out of her skin.

Minutes kept ticking by.

Chaewon felt restless as Yunjin dictated her every thought. She wished for simpler times, when she hadn't fallen for her best friend. It complicated everything.

"Chae?" She heard the redhead's quiet whisper.

Tears pricked the small girl's eyes.

"Yes?" Nonetheless, she answered. She was grateful that the darkness hid her distraught.

Chaewon felt the sheets shift as Yunjin exhaled a puff of air. She felt the girl's warmth on her skin, sending waves through her body.

Yunjin slid her hand up Chaewon's lower arm, tugging her. The small girl felt her breath hitch.