Chapter 8

Chapter 8

Charlotte POV

The restaurant's front door opened, revealing Mr. Milestone's bruised and worn figure. Tears well up in my eyes, and my contempt for him melts away like butter on a hot sauce pan. Regardless, he didn't deserve it. His body lunged forward, and his feet dragged on the hard floor.

"He's knocked out, boss."

"Well then... FUCKING WAKE HIM UP!" She roared, and it echoed like thunder and sounded like the voice of a monarch. "Why would you bring something weak and battered to me? Who beat him up?"

Another man pushed forward from the flock and posed proudly.

"I did it, Boss. He was being a hardhead, and I beat the snot out of him." He spoke with much pride.

"You did what?" She inquired, her fingers reaching behind the prune face of Mr. Milestone. "You outdid yourself with this one." She said, all happily, but then a gunshot rang, and I slowly stared down, feeling all over my body. When I realized it was me, I looked at everyone else, and they appeared to be fine, but then in the middle of my ears ringing, as if my drums had shattered, I heard a pain grunt and realized it was coming from the man who assaulted Mr. Milestone.

My eyes widened as I could see right through his forehead and realized he had been shot square in the middle—bulleyes.

"For how long must I tell you all to stop touching what is supposed to be mine to hurt? Look at him. Do you think my father wants a body with scratches and bruises?" Her teeth ground together as she implied. She groaned hard and massaged the gun's nozzle into her spiky hair. And, looking at it, it wouldn't be so horrible if she pulled the trigger and relieved everyone else of the anguish of dealing with her.

"Wake him up!" She grimaced and threw the pistol on the counter, throwing her body on it. "So exhausted dealing with all of you."

"How, boss?"

Her deranged expression pushed on the man who made the most ridiculous inquiry about how to wake up a man who appeared to be dead.

"Do you want to end up like him?" She questioned, pointing to the lifeless man on the floor. Blood was slowly leaking from his body, and he was becoming paler as his body started to prepare for death. I'd never seen a man be shot before. Sure, I've seen dead folks, but they were in a lovely coffin, with no threat.

"No, Boss." He bowed.

They appeared to have a lot of respect for her, or perhaps it was terror. Fear of becoming like that guy whose hands were bleeding or, worse, dead on the ground.

"Wake him awake."

They all had panicked looks at Mr. Milestone. They plainly don't know what to do, or what the initial step was, despite being told. They were perplexed, as I would be if my employer was a crazed lady thirsting for murder. I was ready to stand when I felt Nadine pull me back down, and I threw her an annoyed look.

"What?"

"Don't you dare move; I need you as a shield."

I raised an eyebrow; was she serious right now?

"Get this rubbish out of my sight!" She barked. "Get me a fucking chair. "My freaking feet hurt." Her serene demeanor had long since slid through every hole, and I wished my aroma still lingered on her fingertips.

Two guys appeared quickly and began taking away the lifeless body, making my stomach turn as I saw the thick, blood trailing away with him. I couldn't help but visualize my body in that posture.

A guy brings the chair. "Somebody turn on the fucking lights." I now noticed the sun had set, the street light was on, and it was nighttime.

I pulled myself from Nadine's suction grip and headed toward the men who were holding Mr. Milestone. He was clearly out cold, but for everyone's safety, I had to wake him up.

"Get back in your seat." One of the men barked.

"Fucking, hey!" Isami shouted. I cringed as I looked back at her; she approached the guy, and they both stood at the same height. "The only fucking person to bark at this chick is me, do you understand?"

His jaw tensed, and his gaze briefly focused on me before shifting to his master's eyes. "Yes, Boss."

"Good boy." She massaged his head, but it wasn't kind, but rather manipulating.

I looked back at Mr. Milestone.

His face was not severely beaten, but I could see bruises growing as soon as the lights were turned on. My fingertips pressed beneath his nostrils and he was breathing shallowly.

"You need to wake up." I whispered.

I heard murmuring from behind me and realized it was Nadine. I sighed deeply. I run my fingers over his hot hair. "Mister Milestone." I called. He was out cold. The sound of a gunshot did not shake him awake. I was merely trying to do my best. I began tapping his cheekbones. Maybe he won't die if he can talk his way out; she was lenient when she wanted to be.

"Please, Mr. Milestone. We need you. Please wake up." I tap his cheeks just a little harder. He was in a deep trance, and just talking wouldn't help. He needed to be jolted awake. But it appears that my tapping wasn't functioning.

"Nadine, go get some water please."

"What! No. I am not leaving here. If this lady doesn't order me to move, I'm not moving, sorry, best friend."

I rolled my eyes; they can be such cowards, I don't blame them.