The Tallest Bookshelf I've Ever Seen

"gah!" I said as I woke up from cold water being splashed on my face. "Get up. It's time for work. Go get changed." The head maid said then walked off.

I sighed and got up for work. I work at the castle for the first prince as a maid. I got up and got ready and changed into my maid outfit.

I walked out of my room in the castle and got a mop and bucket. I usually mop the kitchen, ball room, dining room, living area, and finally the first prince's room.

I fill the bucket with water and head into the kitchen first. I mopped for about an hour until I was disturbed by the head chef coming in.

He walked to the fridge and got some lemon juice then spilled it all over the floor. "Oops, clean it up you slut." He sneered before walking off.

I felt my anger boil in me but I decided to just clean it up. My coworkers don't like me because they think I'm too 'close' with the first prince since I clean his room by myself. But he's never in the room when I clean it.

Once I was done mopping in the kitchen, I went to the dining room. I vacuumed the carpet instead of mopping. The loud noise I guess disturbed someone because the vacuum was unplugged by another maid.

"Stop being such a loud bitch. I'm trying to sleep. " She growled at me before dropping the plug and walking off. Yeah, I do most of the cleaning around here. They just sleep, eat, and drink all day. Oh and don't forget they torture me everyday.

I breathe slowly trying to contain my anger. "It's fine.. I was done anyway.." I mumbled before putting away the vacuum.

I walked down the hall to the living area, I mopped the whole floor without any disturbances, luckily. So once I was done with the living area, it was time for the biggest room in the whole palace. The ballroom.

It was about a 10 minute walk from where I was to the ballroom because the palace was so big, but at least I got my workout.

I carried the mop and bucket the whole time. As soon as I got there, I went to work. It would probably take me a few hours to mop the whole entire room.

Well, I was in the middle of mopping when a royal guard came in. Wait - what? "Lady Ruby you are excused from cleaning the ball room for today and you just go to the prince's room to clean it now." He then saluted and went back to his post.

What happened? Why do I need to skip my shift?? I'm so confused. I shrugged it off and walked to the
exit of the ballroom.

I carried my bucket and mop to the prince's room. The room was fairly close to the ballroom so it didn't take that long to get to his room.

I knocked on the door and just like always, there was no answer. So I just opened the door and went in. "Do you always just walk in people's rooms?" The prince said while reading a book on his bed.

I got startled but I then immediately bowed and stated my apologies. "I-im so sorry your highness! Y-your didn't answer me when I knocked and-" I stopped rambling when I heard a chuckle from the prince.

"It's alright, Ruby. You can continue doing your job. " He smiled while looking up from his book to look at me.

I nodded, to embarrassed to say anything. I put down my mop and mopped the floor. It took me about an hour to do so, and the whole time I couldn't shake off the feeling of someone watching me, but when I looked at the prince, he was reading his book.

I signed when I finished. I looked around the room to see if there was anything else. Some books on the table caught my attention. "I guess he likes to read.." I mumbled. But little did I know he heard me.