Chapter 5

Frank leaves the bar, slowly. He doesn't find the strength to move or even think correctly. All he can think about is what Gerard just told him. He sure is sad that he's got a boyfriend, but why haven't he told him before? Why would he be hiding it ? Maybe it's something he's embarrassed to talk about, and it's totally understandable, but still, why...

As soon as he opens the door of his apartment, he bursts out in tears and throws himself on his bed to bury his face in his pillow.

Gosh, it hurts so much.

He rethinks about the fact that Gerard also refused his bouquet flower, and it makes him cry even more.

Maybe he's being too emotional, but he can't help it. He's just so sad. He was supposed to go back home happy for having spent some time with the lifeguard, but the way it ended doesn't even make him want to try.

Suddenly, his phone bips.

He looks at it. It's Ray, asking how the evening at the bar went.

He opens his phone and types:

Well it's worth calling you. I'm actually in tears.

As soon as Ray has read the message, Frank's phone rings. He answers quickly.

"Frank ? What happened? You okay ?"

Frank shakes his head, knowing well that Ray can't see him.

"He's got a boyfriend", he says, sobbing and almost whispering.

Ray doesn't answer quickly.

"Frank..." he finally says. "Don't worry about that, it's... you two can still be friends."

Ray clearly doesn't know what to say to reassure his friend. But he understands how he's feeling right now. And that really sucks.

"But I wanted to try having a chance with him even though I... I knew it was impossible."

Frank sniffles and takes a tissue to wipe off his eyes and his nose.

"And," he continues. "He... He..."

Frank starts sobbing even harder, what makes Ray panic.

"Hey, hey Frank, it's okay, you'll be fine... Hey, you've got me at least, uh ? Well, as a friend. Didn't mean to make it sound like I'm gay."

"Ray ! He didn't accept to take the bouquet !"

"What ??"

"He said he doesn't know how to take care of flowers... And that he doesn't have enough space in his... house." sniffles Frank.

"Wow... Sounds... false."

"That's what I was thinking. But it can also be true. I don't know, Ray. It's getting me sick. Why did I project myself so far with him ? Ray, I fucking hate myself."

"No, Frank. You're a great person, okay ? You'll find the love of your life one day, I promise you. But you just have to understand that... it isn't Gerard."

Frank stops sobbing for a second.

"Okay. I have to forget him. But it's hard to do it when you actually work at the same place than your crush."

"I didn't say you had to forget him, I just-"

"But I have to. Otherwise, I won't be able to stop loving him. That's what I mean."

He's not actually doing that because he's jealous of Gerard's boyfriend -he's VERY jealous- but the actual reason is that he really wants to forget his feelings for Gerard. Otherwise it will do nothing but hurt him.