Chapter 6

Today is another day. Frank has to clean up the swimming pool. Yes, it's also his work. When he does the cleaning, he arrives fifteen minutes earlier at work, to have enough time before people start coming.

He's almost done, when he hears foot steps from behind his back. It's obviously Gerard. He turns back to look at him.

Oh gosh, his face is still as sad as yesterday.

"Hello, Frank." he says, smiling.

But his smile is the most fake he had ever done.

"You okay ?" asks Frank.

"I am, I am. Thank you."

Frank feels so sad for Gerard. Why is he always feeling so sad ? Why can't he be happy ? And why is he always lying ?

Okay, I have to help him... You can do it, Frank.

He lets go of the mop and walks towards Gerard.

He takes his hand and looks into his eyes.

"Hey, tell me what's happening. I can listen to you. I have time, even if I have to do the cleaning."

Frank looks into the lifeguard's eyes. They are full of tears.

"Frank, it's none of your business..." he says, letting go of Frank's hand, sitting down on the floor and putting his back against the desk of the reception.

Yeah, he's right. It's none of his business. Goddamn, he shouldn't have said that.

He crouches next to him.

"I know. But you seem so sad and... I wanna help you, even if it's probably something I can't fix... But at least you know that there's someone for you. Well, I know you've got your boyfriend to help you, but I can be there as well."

He smiles at Gerard.

Oh gosh, how proud of himself he is. He managed to talk with Gerard, and, most of all, saying something kinda... intimate. He's happy about that, but he hopes it didn't scare Gerard.

"Frank... Can I hug you ?"

The question Gerard just asked surprises Frank, but in a good way.

"Of... Of course !"

And, with that, Gerard hugs Frank. It's a long and tight hug. So warm. Frank feels his heart beating so so fast it would take off. He feels Gerard's arms wrapping around his body.

It's... amazing. It's wonderful. Words can't describe how Frank feels at this moment. His eyes are wide open. He hears the lifeguard crying. Silently, trying to be as discret as possible.

Frank doesn't know how to react. He doesn't know if he has to pat his back, or saying something, or... He doesn't know.

"Frank... You're so kind. Thank you so much..."

He lets go of Frank to look him in the eyes, but still wrapping his arms around his waist.

"I can't tell you anything about it..."

"If you really want to tell me, you know you can trust me. Right, we don't know each other a lot... And... Um... We are only colleagues, but..."

"Frank, to be honest, I trust you more than my boyfriend." he says, a single tear flowing down his cheek.

It breaks Frank's heart. Wait, what ? How is it possible that Gerard trusts him more than he trusts into his boyfriend ? It can't be possible, it's not normal, actually.

"Wait, what do you mean by that ?" Frank says Frank, frowning.

"It's so hard to say it... I'm scared he could hear me..." 

He looks all around him for a few seconds.

"He's not there, don't worry."

Wow. That's crazy how paranoid Gerard is. But Frank wonders what he's about to tell.

"Well... Frank I don't know how to say it."

Frank smiles kindly.

"That's okay, take your time."

Gerard nods sadly and takes a deep breath.

"I don't love my boyfriend."

His heart misses a beat. How ? How is it possible that he doesn't love his boyfriend ? If he doesn't, then he should leave him.

"Oh... why ?"

He doesn't really know what to say. First, he's getting really hyped that he's currently so close to Gerard and gets to talk to him for a long time, even if it isn't to say happy things. And, second, it's quite hard to reassure someone during situations like this one. Nobody really knows what to say.

Gerard completely lets go of Frank and takes out a tissue from his pocket to blow his nose, many times.

Aww, that's so cute.

No Frank, don't think about that. That's really not the moment.

The lifeguard sniffles silently and raises his finger to his cheek.

"See that bruise ?"

Frank nods. Why is he talking about that right now ?

"He did this to me."

------------------------

this chapter is divided in 2 parts, that's why this chapter is short (second part will be chapter 8) and the next is a flashback.