6 Are you nuts?

Kate POV

I hadn't even got all the way through the door when my phone rang. At first I had expected it to be Roman. But I wasn't sure if I even wanted it to be him. I was so confused. He was a great man, without question. More than great actually, he was an absolute dream. Charming, witty, intelligent, polite, simply a gentleman through and through.

My emotions were on a roller coaster. Never in my life would I have thought that something could make me so happy and totally terrified at the same time. But here I was.

"Hi Jamie... How are you?" I asked when I took the call.

"Spill the beans already... How was your date?" Jamie replied immediately without answering my question.

"It was really nice. And I... I don't know if... well..." I stuttered.

"Oh come on, Katie. It's okay. You can't hold back forever. If you like him and he likes you. That's a good start. Maybe it's even something big." she replies.

"Yeah, that's what I thought last time too." I replied as I went into the bathroom and removed my make-up.

I took off most of my jewelry, but put my ring back on my finger. Then I sighed deeply.

"Katie... please... none of this was your fault." she said.

"I should have sensed something was wrong. Why didn't I suspect it, Jamie? How the hell could I have been so fucking blind? Love sucks." I replied.

"And again. It wasn't your fault. How could you have known any of this? You don't work for the FBI. You're bound to fall in love again. You could even say you already did," she said.

"No, I didn't. I even told him that," I explained to her.

"What exactly did you say?" she asked suspiciously.

"That he shouldn't make me fall in love with him." I mumbled, knowing exactly what was coming.

"You what? Are you nuts?" she screeched.

"No... Just severely damaged." I said.

"Now listen to me. I understand your being skeptical, but you deserve love in your life. How long are you going to punish yourself? Have you told Roman what happened?" she wanted to know.

"Not yet..." I replied.

"Then you should do that. If you really like him, then you have to open up to him." Jamie said.

"Easier said than done. And what if he thinks I'm just naïve and stupid?" I wanted to know.

"He won't. Now get yourself a glass of wine and call the man to thank him for the date," she replied.

"I'd love to have a glass of wine with you again. But you had to move to Texas," I said to divert the conversation.

"Yes ma'am, I had to. Now stop being a baby and call the man. Don't punish both of you." she replied.

"Okay... okay... but that's more of a story to tell in person. But that's not exactly a nice topic for a second date." I explained to her.

"Maybe not, but he should know." she said.

An hour later, I was lying in bed, racking my brains about whether and when I should tell Roman about my past.

I picked up my cell phone and dialed his number. With my eyes closed, I took a deep breath. It rang for quite a while. I thought he wasn't going to answer. But finally I heard his deep voice.

"Hey Katie... How are you feeling, baby girl?" asked Roman.