Chapter Twelve

THE temperature was humid inside the room Terrance had given us, noticing we looked like we needed a week's worth of sleep

     THE temperature was humid inside the room Terrance had given us, noticing we looked like we needed a week's worth of sleep. As John B and I laid on a lumpy bed, Sarah on another, we attempted to rest. Well, I tried until John B whispered my name.

"Ro?"

"Hmm?" My eyes stayed shut, still floating in the in-between of sleep.

"Do you wanna get married?"

My eyes shot open, wide awake, before I twisted to meet his serious gaze.

"What? You're not joking?" I questioned softly as I was strictly ordered by Sarah to keep talking to a minimum.

"No. I'm not." He smiled. His fingers softly trailed my hip as I thought over the very crazy proposal. I really had nothing else in life to live for but him, Sarah and the Pogue's. So what's the harm?

I know we're only 17 and 16, but I was one second away from almost being engaged, how was this any different? At least I had a say in this relationship.

Oh, and because I actually love the boy, wholeheartedly.

"If I say yes," I begin, voice a mere whisper as I watch his eyes light up. "You're not allowed to die."

"You're gonna be a Pogue for life?" I let out a huff at his reply before leaning up and planting a delicate kiss on his cheek.

"So, when we get there, what are we going to do?" I questioned. We were currently on a barge, with no plans of where we would go after we dock.

"I don't know. Maybe Terrance could help us out, point us in the right direction." He shrugged before sitting up, no sign of exhaustion in his movements. I watch as he grabs a spare bandanna from his pocket before folding it. "Here."

I sit up in confusion before he wraps it around my neck, tying it in the back. It wasn't too loose to fall off or tight enough to choke me, but I was grateful all the way for the reasoning behind it.

"Thought you'd might like something of mine to keep on you at all times, and to help cover, this." His thumb caresses the bruising on my neck and my heart swells with affection.

"Thank you, JB."

Sarah woke up right then with an exhale and a yawn. I tracked her movements as she twisted around, tired eyes landing on the two of us.

"What're you guys up to now?" she sighed, sitting up to stretch.

"Marriage," I whispered, waiting for the reaction I knew was gonna happen.

"Say what now?" Her arms dropped instantly as she moved over to us to take the seat beside me. I laughed as John B pulled out the gold wrapped in a piece of cloth.

"You heard me." I shrugged.

"You bitch." She slapped my arm, teasingly, with a wide smile.

"Ow!" I slapped her back, causing her to act offended. But my back went stiff as a board as I heard thumping nearing the room we were in.