Chapter Fifteen

WE DOCK along the shore, the waves crashing harshly against the sand as John B digs the anchor into the wet grains

     WE DOCK along the shore, the waves crashing harshly against the sand as John B digs the anchor into the wet grains. Sarah hops out after setting the gas cans on the edge before turning to look at me. My breathing was rough as the pain was at an all time high soon after we had grown closer to the town.

Any time I stepped on my right leg, the pressure would send a flash of white hot pain through my abdomen. I hold my arms out so John B could help me down, his dry yet warm hands gripping the back of my thighs before gently setting me on the ground.

The plan was to get gas, hopefully find a phone and then leave again. But the only problem was getting the gas.

"How are we gonna pay for the gas?"

"Don't worry about it. We'll figure it out." John B glanced over my head at Sarah who gave him a nod. As we grew closer to a shop, John B and Sarah led the way, "accidently" bumping into a waiter and causing him to knock some glasses onto a snob who instantly erupted.

As they sweet talk and apologize over and over for the mess they've caused, I slip the clip of cash into my hands before walking out unnoticed. Hearing footsteps jogging towards me, I spare a glance before continuing the trek.

"Did you get it?" John B questions, a gas can bumping my thigh.

"What are you talking about?" I tease, spotting the way his face dropped. I hold up the money with a smirk. "You mean this?"

"Oh my God!" Sarah cheers.

"I'll sugar mama you." I continue, shimming my shoulders as the hope in my chest grows more.

"I was hoping you would say that."

It only took us about fifteen more minutes to make it to the nearest gas station where we could fill up and get some food. Setting the tanks down, John B gives me a cheeky smile.

"How many hot dogs you want?"

Sharing a glance with Sarah, I hold out the money for him, allowing him to take possession of our hard work before deciding on an answer.

"Like all of them."

He chuckles before walking backwards, holding a finger gun up. "Endless hotdogs comin' up!"

While he heads inside, Sarah and I get to filling the tanks. As I'm leaning against the pump, my eyes zone in on a familiar couple and I curse out loud, causing Sarah to look behind her.

She mutters under her breath before hiding around the other side while I bend down slowly to help her. And with just our luck, John B walks out, talking loudly.

"They ran out of the real deal." He's talking with his mouth full, but I have no time to be disappointed while Sarah and I shush him before warning him of the couple getting closer.

"Hey! You!"

We panic as we screw the lids back on, the hotdogs long forgotten on the ground as the guy keeps yelling, calling us thieves.